Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents - will wheels this size ( 18X8/9 - 5X112) offset (29mm Front/ 35mm Rear) fit a 92 500E? if so what tire size/s should be purchased for them?

Thanks much,
JB

·
Registered
150 Posts
OK, let me ask this,

Looking at a set of 219 Chassis AMG wheels 8.5"(ET 25) and 9.5" (ET28) X 18" for a "95 420E".

Good fit ?

Has set of tires 255/40 R18 275/35R18 also that will need replacing

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
150 Posts
because of the offset? I have option of same size in ET 44 offset.

Not really considering the tires.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
A 500E has significantly wider arches which can accommodate the larger tyres.

Isn't a 400E / E420 just the same setup as a stock w124 in terms of the chassis?

I don't think it is possible for 500E spec tyre widths to fit any other w124 without extreme bodywork mods.

·
W124 Moderator
12,583 Posts
The 400E420''s do have the same setup as all "normal" sedans, coupes,cabrio's, wagons and so on. i do believe euro 400/420E's came with 16" wheels.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd rather search to see if someone asked the same question first, I didn't really care how old it was. Doing the same thing with my A/C questions, it's all still pertinent. Besides, I like to see who is still here from when I owned my 92 400E, or 71 250C.

Mike

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is great, Jayare With Craigslist I'd like to find some local wheels off of some other model MB's that would fit. I keep going back to the C class 5 spokes. Though the AMG wheels look good also.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Isn't a 400E / E420 just the same setup as a stock w124 in terms of the chassis?
According to a certain member (who nowadays is banned due to certain issues), they definitely are not. I got a pretty major ass-chewing from him a couple of years ago for even suggesting such a thing. :eek: :D

·
W124 Moderator
12,583 Posts
Sorry, I had the 7 spoke C class wheels on the CE and 400e. I have two of the pictured wheels in my garage. I never tried mounting them as there are usually a staggered set, with the rears being 8-1/2", IIRC. The set was given to me and I sold the fronts to a gentleman that wanted to get away from a staggered setup and he paid the asking price for the set just to get 2 front wheels.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
^Yeah, as cool as it might be in the looks dept. staggered sucks just alone that tire rotations are impossible. I had staggereds on my old W209 and W215.

The cool factor goes out the window when you have to change a flat, since the staggered won't fit in the spare wheel well and if you run bigger brakes with the staggered setup you can't use the factory size spare anymore.

I just mounted a set of 5 MB Avantgarde rims (8.5 X 18 on 255/45-18), not staggered, on one of the W140s. The wheels weigh like lead compared to the stock 8 holers and it is a miracle they don't scrape at all anywhere. Technically, they should scrape as early W140s like mine need to be adapted to fit these wheels. See enclosed MB doc.

The only downside is the ride quality due to reduced profile width, although the Dunlop SP Sport 9000 are not known for ride quality but they do stick like glue.

I already have set of brand new Michelin Primacy MOs (Mercedes Originals) to take the place of the Dunlop which I think will address the ride quality greatly.

It is amazing that the spare wheel even fits the spare wheel well, barely.

Got way too many rims and tires (summer, winter, performance, etc.) and need to make some room, 3 sets of 8 holers, 2 sets of steel wheelies with hubcaps, the Avantgardes, a brand new never mounted Avantgarde polished/diamond cut version (seeking for at least 3 more), set of 4 Gilduns (brand new, never mounted), Ulideckels (a.k.a. 15 holers). If it's for a 124, 129, 140 or any other classic MB I probably have it or have access to it. PM if interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes, That is what I was looking at, 5 Spoke, Didn't think they were staggard though, What is size and offset.

Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing