Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it were your money and the only people riding in the back seat were your small kids, would you buy a C36 or 500E? I ask because they cost about the same used.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That's a tough one. The Porsche-built 500E/E500 is amazing, and would be my ultimate choice. I struggled with this as well, but it came down to no low mileage 500E/E500s available, and the availability of a fold down rear seat on the C-class. I compromised and bought a C43 sort of a combination of both.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had a W202 chassis before moving to a 500E, the difference in interior size is very noticable.<p>If this a car you plan of keeping for a while, I would go with the 500E, its just alot more car!<p>It does everything the AMG C class cars do, but it does it easier and with less fuss. There is no replacement for cubic inches (no cheaply at least) and the 500E delivers! You don't have to rev it hard to go quick.<p>Build quality is better in the interior with the W124, so 500E wins as well. The only down side might be (depending on year of AMG purchased) the adaptive 5 speed tranny in the newer cars. <p>Over all, cost of ownership and maintenance has not been an issue so far. <p><br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I for one must go with the C36. I prefer the 95 for its nicer interior detailing over the 96 and 97 C36. I have raced several 500Es and easily pulled away (although with higher speeds, the larger cubic inches will come out on top, but the last time I checked, L.A. doesn't have an autobahn.<br>It's quicker in the turns and overall a snappier car to drive. This is a car I will keep for quite some time.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
: I for one must go with the C36. I prefer the 95 for its nicer interior detailing over the 96 and 97 C36. I have raced several 500Es and easily pulled away (although with higher speeds, the larger cubic inches will come out on top, but the last time I checked, L.A. doesn't have an autobahn.<br>It's quicker in the turns and overall a snappier car to drive. This is a car I will keep for quite some time.<p>______________________________________<p>I concur on this point. While I love the 500E, it is a larger car and lacks a real edge at all but the highest speeds. It does get around a track with long straights faster though and will pull 30-70 faster unless you take a C36 and downshift it first. Although, they are 2 different cars, the C36 is a smaller sports-luxury sedan with a ragged edge while the 500E is a mid-size luxury sedan with a hell of a mean streak! I almost bought a 500E new in '93 but went for an Audi S4 instead as I prefered the manual and wanted all wheel drive at the time. Every time a see a 500E for sale I am still tempted but not as a replacement for the C36 as they are so different.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
: I for one must go with the C36. I prefer the 95 for its nicer interior detailing over the 96 and 97 C36. I have raced several 500Es and easily pulled away (although with higher speeds, the larger cubic inches will come out on top, but the last time I checked, L.A. doesn't have an autobahn.<br>It's quicker in the turns and overall a snappier car to drive. This is a car I will keep for quite some time.<br>The 96 or 97 have the 5 spd., though and more power than the 95 so I would opt not for the 95<p><br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: 500E vs. C36

Yes, the 500E has better build quality, but if you want driving enjoyment with snappy performance, it's the C36 hands down. If you want smoother, albeit slower performance (think luxury sport) then it's the 500E. <br> Let me again say, the interior console of the 95 is far superior in elegance and atmosphere to any MB from pre-1998. If you like cockpits, it's the best one there is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts