Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy one or the other.
Budget is about 20k-ish.
A nice 92 E or a 98 C43? Both about 70k-90k miles on them. Any opinions on which to go for? Obviously the E would be older but it sounds more reliable and I havent read about any serious problems, the things are very well built and a classic.
The C43 would obviously be 6 years newer but the transmission problems scare me a little. I'd be looking at keeping the car for quite a while, 6-8 years. I have a Lexus GS400 in my thinking also but I tend to think the Mercedes age better and the older models dont look old if that makes sense.
Any other problems the C43 had I need to know about?Thanks in advance for any opinions and help.

Paul

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would get the 500E. It's a great car with lots of power! The only thing I don't like a...

I would get the 500E. It's a great car with lots of power! The only thing I don't like about it is the climate controls. On the W124 and W126 they all suck.

·
Registered
W202 1998 AMG C43
9 Posts
Although I would seriously consider the E500 as a collector, I would strongly recommend the C43. As with most manufacturers their technology gets better all the time. This is seen in the 3 valve engine in the C43. It breathes easier and is way more fuel efficient. Also the C class body is much more chuckable around corners.
Ben

·
Registered
1999 C280
49 Posts
Don't know if you've made the purchase or not yet, but I'd get the 500E. That body style is truly a classic and there are tons of them still on the road (not all 500's of course), so that means plenty of replacement parts should you need them.

If I recall correctly, the engines were hand assembled and fitted in the Porsche factory on the 500E. You certainly can't say that about the C43.

Although the C43 is a great car, I like the size and styling of the 500E a little bit better. Given that I have driven the Lexus before, I would probably get the GS 430 before the C43 (from purely a reliability standpoint, the Lexus would be the best bet overall). In 6-8 years, the 500E will be a true classic where the C43 will be just another fast small car.

·
Registered
C36 C43
98 Posts
I would go C43... even thought the 500e is very nice. Acually idk they are both nice cars. I certianly stare more when i see a nice 500e but the C43 is more practical...newer tech. Parts are pretty easy to get w202 body isnt rare, M113 engine isnt rare either W210 E430 and W208 CLk430 share the C43 engine

·
Registered
'05 330i ZHP
1,036 Posts
The C43 is a lot smaller, if you want to go somewhere its better to have the 500E. BTW the 3 valve engines arnt that good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts