Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
What a moron. I can't go any further than two minutes into his mound of misinformation.

Okay genius, explain to me exactly why all the BMW 528es and 535is that were produced at the same time as the W124 are no longer on the road. Is it because a W124 is no different from the BMWs?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think i could DIY that car for 1300 bucks plus another 1500 for a tranny rebuild by a good Indy I know near Paris...

And frankly, that guy sounds dumb. Wizard has just found his retirement plan !!!

Denis

·
Registered
391 Posts
Very disappointing to see familiar names on here that I admire (not many posts here, but over 5000 on peach parts) bashing me. I used to be a section president of MBCA, and was a regular contributor to the Star-- even writing a detailed buyers guide to the 107 a few years ago. I've owned and fixed so many 124s over the years, along with many other Mercedes, and drank the "Best or Nothing" cool aid for a long time.

The truth is, these cars are well built, but just as susceptible to age and neglect as any other well built car from any continent. The only reason so many are still on the road is because we still value an old Mercedes so much and think they are worth fixing.

BMW products are garbage for the most part as we all know, but Toyota, Lexus, Honda, etc have made equally durable products-- probably better in many ways after the new millennium.

I remember being a keyboard warrior and bashing videos, saying similar things like "this guy knows nothing about cars". I guess now I know what it's like to be on the other side. I will admit that I dumb it down a little bit and ham up a few things, but that's how you entertain the widest audience possible...

Also keep in mind that titles have to be as clickbait as possible...

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Very disappointing to see familiar names on here that I admire (not many posts here, but over 5000 on peach parts) bashing me.
Keep in mind that it isn't everybody. :wink

I understand you believe this must be done to get clicks & ad views, but I'm sure you know, there is likely not a person on the planet who enjoys clickbait in any form. At least you don't put fake screencaps on your video, which IMO is one of the worst forms of clickbait.

Good luck with the restoration, btw. I'd be happy to help if I could, I've owned & worked on 124's for nearly 25 years now, got my first 036 fifteen years ago, and currently own a few of them. Looks like yours should come back to life without major issues. Shame it accumulated so much deferred maintenance by the PO.

:eek

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Just realize that most members didn't post. I for one, watch and enjoy most of your videos. I didn't post in this thread as I didn't see the need to argue with negative people...

Keep doing what your doing :)

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Agreed, but it wouldn't generate the same interest on youtube.

The guy used to work at car dealerships (incl BMW) and ran his own sizable used car dealer operation later, which means he bought hundreds of cars at auction perhaps even in lots (like wrecking yards do). Don't let the dumb boy act fool you.

I'll follow the 500E, but in general don't watch many of those show, but think de Munro and some weird Brit dude (looking glass....) are more annoying
Doug DeMuro is selling autographs for $35.

In the future, we may look back at this as the "peak autograph" year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The only reason so many are still on the road is because we still value an old Mercedes so much and think they are worth fixing....Toyota, Lexus, Honda, etc have made equally durable products-- probably better in many ways after the new millennium.
I completely agree. A 1994 Toyota Camry is also a very well-made car, but I don't see too many videos on those, even though they are bulletproof tanks and made to a similar standard. The E500E is a well-made car that we all agree is worth preserving.
I remember being a keyboard warrior and bashing videos, saying similar things like "this guy knows nothing about cars"
Everyone's a critic, and often not even a well-informed one. One YT comment on your video, since deleted, was from someone who claimed to have a W124 but stated the E500E is unreliable because, unlike his vanilla car, it has "Porsche engine, suspension and brakes".

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
I predict a shake out on Youtube within the next few years, culminating in the remaining content producers in a Turkish oil wrestling contest for views.

Final match:

Doug Demuro and Hoovie Vs. Scotty Kilmer and John Cadogan.

superspeedersRob will MC

I'd pay to watch that.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Put me down as a watcher. I can see the embellishment and sometimes scripting but you also work for someone now so kinda have to play by their rules. Keep em coming. It is entertainment after all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Off-topic, since there is no mention or sight of the 500E (seems to be in the shop), but still pretty cool: Hoovie got a six-car, $26,000 lift. For free.

The R107 is his first car, and it's a vehicle that could probably use some love, rather than spending that love on buying a Yugo, or something.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Very disappointing to see familiar names on here that I admire (not many posts here, but over 5000 on peach parts) bashing me. I used to be a section president of MBCA, and was a regular contributor to the Star-- even writing a detailed buyers guide to the 107 a few years ago. I've owned and fixed so many 124s over the years, along with many other Mercedes, and drank the "Best or Nothing" cool aid for a long time.
I guess you are the guy who made those videos? If so, I am sure you know that forums - Benzworld as an example - are the internet equivalent of a bunch of guys sitting around shooting B/S back and forth. Equally you are aware that "putting yourself out there" by posting videos makes you open to criticism. Contrary to the way some people in this world feel, negative feedback is what helps people get better at what they want to do. If you want a "Participation Medal" maybe we can arrange it but otherwise you can pretty much expect those of us with a little knowledge and experience to shoot down those who sensationalize solely to reach the masses.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

The truth is, these cars are well built, but just as susceptible to age and neglect as any other well built car from any continent. The only reason so many are still on the road is because we still value an old Mercedes so much and think they are worth fixing.

BMW products are garbage for the most part as we all know, but Toyota, Lexus, Honda, etc have made equally durable products-- probably better in many ways after the new millennium.

I remember being a keyboard warrior and bashing videos, saying similar things like "this guy knows nothing about cars". I guess now I know what it's like to be on the other side. I will admit that I dumb it down a little bit and ham up a few things, but that's how you entertain the widest audience possible...

Hoovie, I've been a member here forever, and a Youtube watcher forever, and I just sat here shaking my head at all the "angry-out-of-the-loop old man" comments I was reading. The "personality" quirks is what gets clicks on these vidoes. I watch you and Doug DeMuro all the time. Great fun! People actually watch a DeMuro video just to see how many t-shirts he's wearing that day. The car comes second or third. When it's time to actually work on my car, I come here, or look up a more clinical video.

You guys need to relax.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts