Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
For what they sell for, he'll probably make out ok on that one.... unlike most of what he buys

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
For what they sell for, he'll probably make out ok on that one.... unlike most of what he buys
I never watched him before, but I get a sense he doesn't always make good buying decisions. Is he some IT guy that's made a lot of money? Is that his house in the background of the vid?

Kevin

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I watch a lot of car stuff on YouTube, there's a bunch of idiots, but some are entertaining, Hoovie makes a living doing this now, he likes getting unusual cars and having issues with all of them, has a show on TV, his mechanic is pretty cool The Wizard, Hoovie talked him into starting his own channel, interesting on what he knows and fixes, now this guy on the W124 FB page bought the cheapest 500E, $900 lol, he's fixing it up.
Would you buy this????? only made 1500!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
Given the rarity/NLA status of many parts....you're not really 'proving' anything to take a beater 500E500 and try to bring it back to life. So in answer to your question, I'd opt for a mostly sorted out example that had OE parts (no accidents), or at least a strong runner. I've seen some really good examples that were just down to the paintwork.....needy paintwork I can live with.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I never watched him before, but I get a sense he doesn't always make good buying decisions. Is he some IT guy that's made a lot of money? Is that his house in the background of the vid?

Kevin
He's actually a member over on the peach parts. He used to own an absolutely geourgeus 300SD among others. In his previous life he owned a car dealership. Now he writes for Autotrader and makes youtube videos. Given the volume of videos he puts out, and that he probably writes most of the cars off as business expenses, he's clearly doing alright.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I’ve tried watching some of his content in the past and just can’t. I tried watching this one but Hoovie annoys the heck out of me. Listening to him go on and on about problems that guys on here deal with regularly just made me roll my eyes back into my head.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,077 Posts
Given the rarity/NLA status of many parts....you're not really 'proving' anything to take a beater 500E500 and try to bring it back to life. So in answer to your question, I'd opt for a mostly sorted out example that had OE parts (no accidents), or at least a strong runner. I've seen some really good examples that were just down to the paintwork.....needy paintwork I can live with.

Kevin
Agreed, but it wouldn't generate the same interest on youtube.

The guy used to work at car dealerships (incl BMW) and ran his own sizable used car dealer operation later, which means he bought hundreds of cars at auction perhaps even in lots (like wrecking yards do). Don't let the dumb boy act fool you.

I'll follow the 500E, but in general don't watch many of those show, but think de Munro and some weird Brit dude (looking glass....) are more annoying

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
Agreed, but it wouldn't generate the same interest on youtube.

The guy used to work at car dealerships (incl BMW) and ran his own sizable used car dealer operation later, which means he bought hundreds of cars at auction perhaps even in lots (like wrecking yards do). Don't let the dumb boy act fool you.

I'll follow the 500E, but in general don't watch many of those show, but think de Munro and some weird Brit dude (looking glass....) are more annoying

Not being fooled by his dumb boy act, but I don't like being played either....the house in the background is a tribute to some sort of successful enterprise, or a rich wife etc. I can't watch more than about five minutes of him....I have this urge to reach through the screen and grab his neck.

I watch too much of Kent on YouTube as it is...but I can relate to his efforts with these old cars.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
In the car business there is a saying "there is an ass for every seat." Just like this guy was the one guy who would pay $10,000 for a car needing another $10,000, there is someone out there who will buy this car just because some jerk made a video about it.

There is a whole community of idiots buying cars because they are on TV. Its called Barrett Jackson.

·
39,077 Posts
In the car business there is a saying "there is an ass for every seat." Just like this guy was the one guy who would pay $10,000 for a car needing another $10,000, there is someone out there who will buy this car just because some jerk made a video about it.

There is a whole community of idiots buying cars because they are on TV. Its called Barrett Jackson.
Apropos Barrett Jackson and collectible car auctions (sorry, non Mercedes related)

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Apropos Barrett Jackson and collectible car auctions (sorry, non Mercedes related)

https://youtu.be/F1l6Sdf9gWI
He is entertaining to watch. There are a couple of things he overlooked. First is that Barnum Gyps'em is crazy like a fox. With all their fees and methods to inflate the seller and buyer's cost, they ensure the best way to get that money back is to sell the car at another one of their auctions. No one will get as much for the car at auction as these hucksters do. Second, although I have yet to buy a car from Bring a Trailer, one feature I really like is that the auction stays live if there are two people still interested in bidding when the end of the auction comes around. Sure its a way to puff up the purchase price but it also is a way to simulate the live auction process and differentiate themselves from the "sorry someone got the car for $5.00 more than your best bid" on eBay. Cool video though; thanks for posting it. Maybe now we can get back to tearing up that 500e :)

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Not unusual for some Youtuber's to make $50,000. or more a month.

Hoovie, Tavarish, Scotty Kilmer, Doug Demuro, and AvE may all make that much or more.

AvE

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
I think BaT is about the only auction I would consider. The rest of them....I'd rather shoot myself in the foot. As far as easy money on the Net...you gotta wonder where these guys will be in ten yrs. We used to call it 'job security'. Subscribers are a fickle lot and it takes a lot to keep the interest level going. My generation had pet rocks and motivational speakers, this generation has YouTube.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Not unusual for some Youtuber's to make $50,000. or more a month.

Hoovie, Tavarish, Scotty Kilmer, Doug Demuro, and AvE may all make that much or more.
While they might have pulled that much in a single month at some point, it's pretty unlikely they are making $50k per month on a regular basis. That would require tens of millions of views... and, people have to watch the ads or click on the ads.

https://fortune.com/2018/02/27/youtube-success-poverty-wages/

https://learn.g2.com/how-much-do-youtubers-make

https://millennialmoneyman.com/how-much-do-youtubers-make/

Are they making money? Of course. Are they making a half-million per year, every year? Maybe, but I doubt it. If they are, that's great for them.

:eek

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
While they might have pulled that much in a single month at some point, it's pretty unlikely they are making $50k per month on a regular basis. That would require tens of millions of views... and, people have to watch the ads or click on the ads.

https://fortune.com/2018/02/27/youtube-success-poverty-wages/

https://learn.g2.com/how-much-do-youtubers-make

https://millennialmoneyman.com/how-much-do-youtubers-make/

Are they making money? Of course. Are they making a half-million per year, every year? Maybe, but I doubt it. If they are, that's great for them.

:eek
I doubt it too....especially with folks having to navigate through ads. Here today, gone tomorrow kinda job security. Fickle business at best.

Kevin

·
Registered
173 Posts
All I know is that this web clown knows nothing about cars... and is therefore of no interest to me...
blabla (mental fart)...blabla (fart again)

Denis
Mennecy
France

PS -look me wastes lotsa money (so what...)

·
39,077 Posts
All I know is that this web clown knows nothing about cars... and is therefore of no interest to me...
blabla (mental fart)...blabla (fart again)

Denis
Mennecy
France

PS -look me wastes lotsa money (so what...)

Sounds like a good script for 'Mr Bean buys a car.'

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
15 Participants
Dunnik
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing