H&R Springs
Koni Shocks
$20k in Service Receipts
Clean Carfax

1994 Mercedes-Benz E500 | Bring a Trailer

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, it looks fairly good, but needs quite a bit of work: front center console leather is peeling, headliner is drooping, rust issues, paint: apparently it's been painted before since that ad states that there's "some thinning of the clear coat on the hood and trunk," and as we all know it originally was painted with single-stage Glasurit. They also painted the body cladding the wrong color. Also needs headlight adjusters, sun visor clips and who knows if the evaporator is original, the condition of the AC system, the transmission and engine. condition, etc. I would also be surprised if the stereo is in top condition as the original stereo systems were crap. IMO the Rentec air box, Lorinser steering wheel, H&R springs, Koni struts, Renntech exhaust tips, motorized plate bracket and the add-on cup holder don't add any value YMMV, but I'd much rather have a well-sorted, stock example. On the plus side, it does have a new wiring harness, Monoblocks and new motor mounts. IMO this example needs ~10K+ of work to bring it to top condition. I'd pass on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
re:500E F/S

paint: apparently it's been painted before since that ad states that there's "some thinning of the clear coat on the hood and trunk," and as we all know it originally was painted with single-stage Glasurit. They also painted the body cladding the wrong color.

I know that Smoke Silver is a two stage paint, the base coat is silver with a clear top coat of a smoky yellow to give it that gold tinge. I think the lower cladding was also painted with the same upper body paint on the 500's to distinguish them from other E series.

I kinda like the piece, except for those sci-fi monoblock wheels from a "Terminator" movie set. :eek:

I don't see a peeling armrest, and the cup holder is a feature the wife would enjoy. Rust? $10k in repairs? I don't see that. I think most of the critical stuff has been addressed, I could live with the rest.

The seller may get his asking price, maybe a little less. :dunno:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Logical Position: I believe you are correct regarding the paint. I did not realize that M/B used 2-stage paint during that era; although, I did read that some manufacturers simply mixed clear into the single stage paint to make it shine. I do not know if this is the case for M/B. Regarding the cladding, I have seen E500s both ways - 2-tone - with a different color cladding and painted the same as the rest of the vehicle, so I do not know which is correct - perhaps they did both. As far as the rust is concerned, I only meant that there is likely more rust than just those few "rust bubbles" that were mentioned in the ad. One could easily spend upwards of 5-7K just addressing the rust issues and a quality paint job (if needed).

If you take a look at the photos on the BAT website, there is a photo that shows the leather/MB-Tex peeling up from the bottom on either side of the front, center console.

I've always liked the look of the AMG Monoblocks, but I certainly understand that this is solely a matter of taste and some do not.

I was not trying to disparage this vehicle, rather, the point I was attempting to make was that if I could see the issues I mentioned in the photos + the issues mentioned in the ad, that there is very likely more work that that will need to be addressed, hence my comment that I would prefer a well-sorted, stock example.

But I also realize that the price of admission for many 500E/E500s is going to be a hefty repair bill straight out of the gate.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
My main beef with that car is the inop AC. At 10K+ it should be working, even in a 500E500. The rest is somewhat minor cosmetics. Rust not included, of course as I absolutely HATE that stuff.

At low teens it's probably a good buy for somebody willing to overlook the cosmetics. Anything above 15K+ is too much, IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Knowing What I Know Today About These Older Benz Products

When I started looking for a "proper Benz" I didn't know much about what to look for. After several months of researching "which one is for me" I settled on the E320, 94-95 yr models. Another couple of years pass and I just had to have a 98-99 S420.

Now I see the "most desirable" products are these 500's and the S600's up to yr models 99. I think the E500's were only brought here for a few years, correct? :dunno:

Having been involved in the used market for decades, I knew going into the game that I should expect sellers to be liars, and I would be confronted with several issues, no matter which vehicle I selected. I can thank the contributors of this forum for stepping me thru the process, knowing the foibles of the products, and bringing them to my attention. I accepted a vehicle based on "the critical stuff has been addressed, there will just be some minor crap to deal with." I'm a happy guy. :dance:

All of this considered, the laws of supply and demand still apply when seeking out your "new" vehicle. I think of people that buy these from scrap yards and completely rebuild them. I think of guys that just want one at a price point(me!) And then there are those who desire a collector quality piece. I see this unit as a decent example, with some issues that really aren't deal breakers for a person who knows what he's lookin' at.

The A/C issue is the biggest deal breaker. The rust COULD be a deal breaker if a further inspection revealed the vehicle was/is eaten up with it. An interior problem is rarely an issue, IMO, but for some people it could be. :crybaby2:

At $12k with $20k in repairs behind it, I think it's a buy if you could negotiate it to under $10k. I'm honestly not an expert on these particular models, but there are some experts in here, no doubt. My guess is this unit will be sitting in someone's garage by the end of the month. It's rebuildable, it's a 500, and someone who knows what it is, or money to burn, will be all over this.

94 E320, you studied this ad, and probably have the safest attitude toward this piece, throwing caution flags on the critical issues. I just tossed in my 2 cents since I have the same color on my E320, and it has the same clear coat issues this 500 has. :devil

·
Registered
281 Posts
My main beef with that car is the inop AC. At 10K+ it should be working, even in a 500E500.
I didn't realize the AC was inoperable. IMO, that's a huge detractor and potentially very costly. The evaporator probably needs to be replaced, which is ~ $3,000.00 alone! If the compressor, condenser, dryer, mono valve, etc. need to be replaced as well, that could potentially be ~5K just for the AC. I don't know about you, but life would be miserable in West Texas w/out AC.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
LogicalPosition: Thanks. That's the thing about these 500E/E500s, they're imminently rebuildable - just a matter of time and expense. I have seen well-sorted examples offered on this forum at what I believe to be a fair price and I think one should expect that for ~20K, one could be had with minimal issues.

I believe (maybe someone will be along to confirm this) that the 500E/E500s were only imported into the US for the 92-95 model years and that import numbers for all years in the US number around 1,500, so they are indeed rare.

This vehicle does not have the entire service history available, but I would expect any 20+ year old Mercedes to have close to 20K in repairs. I have a stack of invoices for my '94 E420 that's about 2.5" thick. I'm scared to total them all up, but I'm sure it's in that range and averaged out over the life of the vehicle, I don't believe it to be entirely unreasonable.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
BTW, it was confirmed on another board a few years ago that this car was indeed repainted. Could've had it for under 10K at the time...

Too bad I didn't get in the 500E500 game when the prices were still somewhat reasonable...

EDIT: Ended at $13600. I've seen better deals. We'll see if the deal goes through or if it's going to be back up for sale again shortly.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
... I think one should expect that for ~20K, one could be had with minimal issues.
That is an accurate estimate for the current market conditions. You may not get to be picky about color combo or location though. Nicer ones are well over $20k now.

I believe (maybe someone will be along to confirm this) that the 500E/E500s were only imported into the US for the 92-95 model years and that import numbers for all years in the US number around 1,500, so they are indeed rare..
USA imports were 1992-1994 USA model years only (not 1995). Total of 1,528 import to USA (635, 500, and 393 for 92, 93, and 94, respectively). Figure probably 20-30% of those could be wrecked, salvaged, or exported by now so you're looking at maybe 1000 floating around the USA these days. If you want the facelifted version (94) you have the fewest to pick from.

BTW, about paints... different colors have different types. Some have clearcoat, some do not. Metallics are always (?) 2-stage, non-metallic may usually be 1-stage, but this varies with color and possibly mode year. Smoke Silver is a 2-stage with clearcoat. For the E500 discussed above, yes the bumpers and mouldings are not the original color, but some people like to paint the lowers body color for a monochrome look... it sometimes looks better than the 2-tone factory colors, especially on 040 Black and 199 Pearl Black which both look goofy (IMO) with the stock Alto Gray lowers. But, some people insist on factory appearance... I remember years ago a fellow bought a black monochrome 500E and promptly had the lowers repainted to factory gray. As always, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

:baby bottle:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here E55 amg for sale, far from most of you but still looks pretty good

Used Mercedes Benz E-Class 55 AMG, , Czech Republic, , Gray, Coupe, Petrol, - OOYYO
Wow! That is a rare bird indeed! I've never seen one for sale and the price is unbelievable. I would think that an E55 (1990) would fetch around 80K+ USD. I saw an E60 in Japan once for sale and if I remember correctly, they were asking in excess of 100K (USD) - it was in perfect condition, though. Too bad the add is so limited. I'd like to see a lot more photos and a write-up on the vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow! That is a rare bird indeed! I've never seen one for sale and the price is unbelievable. I would think that an E55 (1990) would fetch around 80K+ USD. I saw an E60 in Japan once for sale and if I remember correctly, they were asking in excess of 100K (USD) - it was in perfect condition, though. Too bad the add is so limited. I'd like to see a lot more photos and a write-up on the vehicle.
Right now i know 2 E600ˇs for sale, one is 100k, the other one 200k USD :)
but yeah, it really does seem unbelievable and i would go running after it if i just didnt spent all my money on project.
As far as more info goes- yeah, kinda bad site for that, you would need to download the android or what ever app to see the full listing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Right now i know 2 E600ˇs for sale, one is 100k, the other one 200k USD :)
but yeah, it really does seem unbelievable and i would go running after it if i just didnt spent all my money on project.
As far as more info goes- yeah, kinda bad site for that, you would need to download the android or what ever app to see the full listing.
I find the E60 to be imminently drool-worthy.

701 - 720 of 726 Posts