Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

681 - 700 of 726 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
It appears that the rust was internal at least as to the spare tire well. Certainly nothing to worry about. And, the brake fittings are also insignificant.

I would tend to believe the seller that he just didn't like the car, not that he discovered a bad rust condition.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Poor thing. I just don't understand how someone can take what was once a hyper-expensive car (about $148k in 2016 dollars) and run it into that kind of condition. But at least it's not in a junkyard getting picked over. Maybe she'll get resurrected.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Wow, she pretty!!! Not sure this owner will get asking price, but It's worth the try!!

Not sure what you smoking but car will sell for more. Just got back from auction and there is 1992 500E with 104k miles salvage title and rear end damage and its already at $10K pre bidding

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is it my imagination or is that blue-green coolant in the overflow tank??
Good catch Dave. It sure looks like the incorrect coolant in the overflow tank, which makes his statement "it was previously owned by a local German mechanic" suspect. IMO, this is a major problem, which would be expensive to correct - hoses, monovalve, fitings, etc., will need to be addressed. What a major mistake! I have seen E series cars that have run with the incorrect coolant, which caused all sorts of problems. Too bad - not sure how an owner of such a vehicle could make such a mistake and it calls into question the quality and frequency of the maintenance on this vehicle. I sent the seller a question asking how long he has run the vehicle with the incorrect coolant and I will report back when/if I receive an answer.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
You do realize new mercedes coolant which is compatible with old yellow is now bluish color which looks like this coolant is. It is more bluish then greenish so that might be new mercedes coolant

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
True about the newer MB coolant color. But in general, when a seller starts talking about a fastidious German mechanic owner, you can run for your shotgun, because you're about to be taken.

Kevin

·
Registered
281 Posts
You do realize new mercedes coolant which is compatible with old yellow is now bluish color which looks like this coolant is. It is more bluish then greenish so that might be new mercedes coolant
No, I did not realize this. The last gallon of Mercedes coolant I purchased (about a year ago) was the yellowish color. Thank you for the heads up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I received a reply addressing my inquiry about the green coolant.

He stated: "Sorry ,I don't know what you mean. But thank you."

Update: I received the following reply from the seller regarding my further inquiry:

I recently changed the water pump. So I flushed the it with new. Everything my mechanic uses is all original mercedes parts. This is not my only 500e.
Thanks for your interest

So, it's possible that the coolant is the new, blueish, Genuine Mercedes coolant.

681 - 700 of 726 Posts