Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

641 - 660 of 726 Posts

·
Registered
'99 CLK 430, '05 E500 4Matic
502 Posts
I'm thinking that's not a bad price if the wiring harness is not jacked'.

I have sent the seller a email twice, and nothing. They must don't want to sell apparently??

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #642 (Edited)
This car is currently being advertised here:

Mercedes Benz 500 Series 500E | eBay

Car is in Florida. However, looking up the VIN produces this ad from a dealer in NY:

1993 Mercedes-Benz 500E 500E - Exotic Car Dealership NY - Exotic and classic cars & storage

VIN: WDBEA36E6PB921143
Miles: 52,100

VMI looks good... nothing since 2008. My 400E is the exact same color but this one looks better. I'd prefer black interior and, of course, some idiot drilled holes in the leather door panels to attach cup holders.

Current eBay bid is "$16,850" with reserve not met. Obviously a flipper (who can't take good photos).

These photos are much better:

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 E550 4Matic, 2009 E320 Bluetec, 2008 S550, 2008 GL320 CDI, 2007 CLS550, 2004 E500
16 Posts
I'm no pro, but this seems suspect

So, I've constantly got my eyes peeled for a 500E/E500 and I came across this one. I don't see it discussed anywhere else on the thread so I thought I would throw it out there. By all appearances, it looks to be in good condition and the mileage seems reasonable for a car of that age. The price however either says there's something wrong, or they don't know what they have. There are a few things that get my attention, so tell me if you agree.

- It's a '92, but badged as an E 500 which I thought didn't happen until '93
- The stated mileage is different on the dealership ad, AutoTrader and CarFax
- It appears to have been bought and sold through the same Honda dealership several times and was previously for sale as recently as December of last year.
- Service records are pretty limited and I don't see any mention of the wiring harness replacement.

I'll provide links here to both ads and the CarFax is on the AutoTrader site. Please let me know your thoughts and opinions.

Auburn, MA 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500 5.0 Used Sedan Westborough, MA Worcester, MA Lundgren Honda | U37306 | WDBEA36EXNB790103

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=02121&endYear=2016&modelCode1=500E&showcaseOwnerId=100024098&startYear=1981&makeCode1=MB&searchRadius=25&mmt=[MB[500E[]][]]&listingId=398169234&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

·
Premium Member
99 BMW R1100RT, 05 MB C230, 07 Silverado CC Z71, 10 Chevy Tahoe LT
5,787 Posts
Based on the pictures, it looks like it might have been sitting at the dealer for some time. If you look closely, it looks more like fall when those were taken.

AFAIK, the bad is definitely incorrect since it is a 92. Whether it means something, who knows... Could be due to repaint. Could be due to somebody just preferring the new one. Could be that the old one fell off for some reason and the owner had it replaced and that was the only one available. And so on and so on. :dunno:

All in all, not a bad looking car at what appears to be a reasonable price. It could all change once you go look at it in person. And, as usual, PPI is definitely needed.

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,045 Posts
So, I've constantly got my eyes peeled for a 500E/E500 and I came across this one. I don't see it discussed anywhere else on the thread so I thought I would throw it out there. By all appearances, it looks to be in good condition and the mileage seems reasonable for a car of that age. The price however either says there's something wrong, or they don't know what they have. There are a few things that get my attention, so tell me if you agree.

- It's a '92, but badged as an E 500 which I thought didn't happen until '93
- The stated mileage is different on the dealership ad, AutoTrader and CarFax
- It appears to have been bought and sold through the same Honda dealership several times and was previously for sale as recently as December of last year.
- Service records are pretty limited and I don't see any mention of the wiring harness replacement.

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions.
- Badge is incorrect, either replacing a missing badge, or indicating paintwork
- Odometer photo shows 121k+
- It's been for sale since at least December of last year, originally listed at $20k.
- Expect any E500E purchase to need both wiring harnesses and ETA replacement. If they turn out to be newer items, that's a bonus. If originals are a dealbreaker, perhaps the E500E is not the right vehicle for you.

This car was originally posted in December of last year and discussed on 500Eboard with price changes tracked as well.

:monkes:

·
Registered
95 E420
91 Posts
Nice looking example in Philadelphia. 104k, $17,500
1992 Mercedes Benz 500E

1992 500E just turned 104,000 miles garage kept no rust rare smoke silver with parchment interior leather is in great condition brand new factory headliner and over 5,000 worth of maintenance just done to make it perfect can be used as an everyday example if wanted to it is mechanically perfect and has been maintained most excellently. Has custom installed Kenwood wood stereo with Sony Amp and Hidden JL Audio free air sub on the rear deck has been done to look factory. Everything worked, wood is in fantastic condition no peeling leather is still supple and seats are super comfortable windows on side are tinted and the rear sunshade also works. Has a new Mercedes Benz transmission that was done by the dealer at 85,000 miles. If you are serious about this car and most likely you know what it is as there are only around 186 examples produced in this color and this year imported into the U.S.. This is a rare opportunity to own an awesome piece of ninetie's factory supercar! Serious offers only.

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8 (sold), 1998 E300DT, 1998 SLK230 kompressor
96 Posts
I guess I should have seriously bid on William Shatner's 500E when it was on EBay about 9-10 years back. It was going for $26k at the time and had low miles (not sure how many, though). I remember it included lunch with Shatner at his home, a signed photo or two with both you and the car, and it had a plaque on the dash as to who owned it. If I could have kept low miles on it, it'd probably be worth quite a bit more today. However, with kids in college, it was not to be for me.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,186 Posts
I guess I should have seriously bid on William Shatner's 500E when it was on EBay about 9-10 years back. It was going for $26k at the time and had low miles (not sure how many, though). I remember it included lunch with Shatner at his home, a signed photo or two with both you and the car, and it had a plaque on the dash as to who owned it. If I could have kept low miles on it, it'd probably be worth quite a bit more today. However, with kids in college, it was not to be for me.
I don't think so, Shatner's popularity over time hasn't exactly skyrocketed. He's more of a fixture for us old guys to remember...hell, he's over 80 now! Young adults would be like; Shatner who?? Tell me it wasn't that long ago that we discussed that car on here(and Shatner)....!

The Seattle car looks decent if it's had a complete wiring harness replacement, ETA and a reman tranny. Also the ASR in these cars can drive you to drink if there's a problem with it. The effort at installing a defeat switch on the console is well worth it. The ASR thinks it's smarter than the driver in all conditions and it's definitely not for an enthusiastic driver.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
That car looks like, if it were at all possible, a drunken sailor.

Kevin

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8 (sold), 1998 E300DT, 1998 SLK230 kompressor
96 Posts
Kevin, I remember another person in entertainment who owned one... "Mr. Bean". Atkinson is apparently a big car nut. He was even seen in the paddock of F1 events, roaming around the McLaren-Mercedes when they ran with the M-B engines.

Anyone else of fame who owned a W124 500E/E500? I'm sure there's a long list and it's probably been discussed here a few times. No need to bring it up on my account... just a silly question. :)

As for Shatner, I think more people know who he is than not, as lots of folks still watch those old shows and films on Star Trek and even Boston Legal. Of course, they might not be interested in a 90's vintage hot rod from Germany. Even though he's in his 80's, and likely still a bit "crusty" (from what I've heard), his commercials with Kaley Cuoco are quite humorous. She could be his grand-daughter, not his daughter. :) I believe he and Nimoy were still friends at the time of "Spock's" death. As for Shatner's car, I wonder who owns it now? Notoriety always counts for something, so that car could be worth more due to that fact. However, everything is always worth what a buyer is willing to pay, so maybe that car would be worth no more than any other 500E in similar condition.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Kevin, I remember another person in entertainment who owned one... "Mr. Bean". Atkinson is apparently a big car nut. He was even seen in the paddock of F1 events, roaming around the McLaren-Mercedes when they ran with the M-B engines.

Anyone else of fame who owned a W124 500E/E500? I'm sure there's a long list and it's probably been discussed here a few times. No need to bring it up on my account... just a silly question. :)

As for Shatner, I think more people know who he is than not, as lots of folks still watch those old shows and films on Star Trek and even Boston Legal. Of course, they might not be interested in a 90's vintage hot rod from Germany. Even though he's in his 80's, and likely still a bit "crusty" (from what I've heard), his commercials with Kaley Cuoco are quite humorous. She could be his grand-daughter, not his daughter. :) I believe he and Nimoy were still friends at the time of "Spock's" death. As for Shatner's car, I wonder who owns it now? Notoriety always counts for something, so that car could be worth more due to that fact. However, everything is always worth what a buyer is willing to pay, so maybe that car would be worth no more than any other 500E in similar condition.
Somehow, I can see Mr.Bean driving a 500E500...lol. I heard that about Shatner; that he and Nimoy were friends to the end. I also heard the rest of the original crew...not so much. In fact, Doohan said Shatner was a first class a-hole. I was so naive as a tween, early teen, that as Shatner 'expanded' on the TV series, he was wearing a skin tight girdle type thing....clearly visible if you look....I never picked up on that. When I first saw him on T.J. Hooker...I was horrified as I thought he was sick with chemo/steroids or something. One of my friends said nah, he's just gotten fat.

The cars that bring the big bucks that rock stars and clebs owned, are almost always exotica. The 500E500 was not exotica...although a damn fine car. When I bought my wagon, it would have been just another $20K. But we were going for utility. Now I'll be lucky to ever afford a well used one.

I think if the 500E500's were going for big bucks because of a celeb attached, we'd have heard about it from the famous auction houses. Now if some rich cleb bought one new and then had one of the tuning houses have at it for another $40K...the car might have some notoriety. But still, that doesn't make it exotica.

Kevin

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,648 Posts
I believe the Shatner car was wreaked and ended up in the hands of forum member Ron500E.

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
The Shatner 500E is now owned by 500Eboard member kmukherjee

It went from members savmjv to Ron500E to kmukherjee who has it.

He is currently waiting on paperwork from Ron500E who is MIA.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Clark, was it indeed wreaked and now a parts/salvage car? Did savmjv wreak it?

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,029 Posts
His daughter did as legends go.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Wow...I hope it gets a new life or gives itself to another 500E....

Kevin

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 1988 300TE
5,432 Posts
Mercedes Benz E Class 500E | eBay

Only in Scottsdale would they think its a $25k car.
Its nice! Wish I could drive down there later today and drive home in it though :D

Just refinance my house and sell the E350...mmm...

641 - 660 of 726 Posts