Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I clocked in at 5000 miles on my SLK350 delivered on December 17th 2004 today.
In that time, the car has been mechanically troublefree however it did have some issues listed below:

1) Cosmetic panel on Vario roof improperly fitted - fixed after 2 tries @ Dealer.
2) Buzzing noise from center speakers - Dealer said could not be reproduced and reassembled the unit. Fixed the issue apparently caused by loose assembly.
3) Rubbing of engine compartment liner - replaced and intake hose with rubb marks replaced as well.
4) Squeak from Clutch pedal - Not called delaer yet.

All in all, I am quite pleased with the car - high praise considering what a nitpicking perfectionist I am.

Here's to many more miles in this excellent roadster!
P.S. I'll be having a guiness later today to mark the occasion. Feel free to have one as well ( as if you need an excuse!) [:D]

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts
Glad that you had a good experience. Sorry yesterday was a total washout. Hope no one drove in the rain. Maybe well shout for a foliage run. They'll be more cars by then! [8D]

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a slight drizzle making my way up to Bear Mountain which stopped shortly after that.
By 11:45, it was dry sunny and warming up rapidly.
A beautiful day for a drive back home.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Another few hundred km's, and I'll have done 5000 troublefree miles too [:D]

Well, ok, unless you count the fact that I couldn't get a + type DVD with mp3's to work (- type worked) and that the flaps in the trunk were not perfectly seated in place.

Funny thing happened to me today however. The car felt a lot more sporty and powerful. A bit confused about this, it constantly kept THE right gear to keep the car revvy and sporty when I was going to work and back home. My tank was almost empty, so maybe the lighter car had something to do with it, and I was also driving with the top open, so maybe the extra weight in the rear helped this?

Can't say I'm complaining [:D]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Shinigami - 5/2/2005 10:39 AM

Well, ok, unless you count the fact that I couldn't get a + type DVD with mp3's to work (- type worked) and that the flaps in the trunk were not perfectly seated in place.

Funny thing happened to me today however. The car felt a lot more sporty and powerful. A bit confused about this, it constantly kept THE right gear to keep the car revvy and sporty when I was going to work and back home. My tank was almost empty, so maybe the lighter car had something to do with it, and I was also driving with the top open, so maybe the extra weight in the rear helped this?

I/m experiencing the same thing at 1500 miles. I have complained in other posts re the sluggishness in gear changes with the automatic. All of a suddent this morning, it started behaving entirely different. Took off like a rocket and changed gears much quicker. Maybe for some cars the breakin period is longer than 1000 miles. Lovin' my car now!!

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
M3eee - 5/2/2005 3:53 PM

Is it possible the car is really "learning" your driving style and is responding more appropriately???
Could be. haven't heard that before but with all these electroics it is probably true.

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
I think these cars are somewhat driver adaptive. Anyway, I have 2200 miles of trouble free driving since December 6, 05. The car still thrills me just to look at it. Top down at any temp above 50 deg. F is totally comfortable at speeds up to 90. Haven't gone much over that. What a Great Roadster!!![:D][8D]

Roberta[:)]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Roberta - 5/2/2005 5:40 PM

I think these cars are somewhat driver adaptive. Anyway, I have 2200 miles of trouble free driving since December 6, 05. The car still thrills me just to look at it. Top down at any temp above 50 deg. F is totally comfortable at speeds up to 90. Haven't gone much over that. What a Great Roadster!!![:D][8D]

Hi, Roberta!

You Wisconsin folks are a hearty bunch! My top doesn't go down until it is at least 65 - even with the Airscarf[8D][8D]

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
malibuite - 5/2/2005 5:44 PM

Hi, Roberta!

You Wisconsin folks are a hearty bunch! My top doesn't go down until it is at least 65 - even with the Airscarf[8D][8D]
Malibuite...you MUST be a So. CA gal...I drive out on bay area mornings at 5:30 in the 40's with the top down, heated seats and air scarf and it is wonderful...[:p][:D][8D]

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
malibuite - 5/2/2005 8:44 PM

Hi, Roberta!

California wusses... [;)][:)]
Top should be down if the temp is above 45F. Only allowed excuses are illness and precipitation.
Hehe....

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
SIlver_Lana - 5/2/2005 6:42 PM
Top should be down if the temp is above 45F. Only allowed excuses are illness and precipitation.
Hehe....
Maybe you should specify So. California...see my post above...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG kit
121 Posts
Shinigami - 5/2/2005 6:39 PM

I believe what this is, is the gearbox - they are what they call intelligent and driver adaptive ie: if you drive the car with a lead foot it performs that way and respectively, if you drive like a granny its gear changes/pick up are a lot slower. When I first got my clk320 I could not work out why some times it accelerated quite fast and others it was like being shot from a cannon and its down to your style of driving.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Oh, I know about the adaptive gearbox, but I don't think it should take this long. I've clocked over 150 hours in the car...

The old SLK used to take a few hours to 'adapt' to my driving style, and several other people reported that if they lent their car to their spouses (who drove them more 'boringly'), they had to drive a few hours in a much more spirited way to get the car to behave like it did before, i.e. with more push and responsiveness.

I've already felt a difference between the modes of driving my 55 and if I've done many hours of boring autoroute with the speedlimiter set, the car indeed is a lot tamer at the end of the day.

But this is something a bit different I think, because it's doing it today too, even in C mode. The car is much more responsive and really likes to jolt down the street when I push it down, even moderately. It's all a bit strange because it truly 'feels' different, like a different car. I wonder why, did I 'unlock' some feature or was the engine really set to go into full gear at 7000km's?

I know some cars have the best engine behaviour at 15k miles or something like that, i.e. when the engine has gotten rid of all the shavings or whatever. Maybe my slightly more spirited driving while the engine was not 100% at the optimal temperature level burnt away the last bits of debris inside, who knows...

Not that I'm complaining, it's really acting great now [:D] best sound and power EVER!

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Motzkoman - 5/3/2005 1:43 AM

SIlver_Lana - 5/2/2005 6:42 PM
Hehe....
Maybe you should specify So. California...see my post above...[:D][:D][:D]
I stand corrected! [:D]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Motzkoman - 5/2/2005 6:24 PM

malibuite - 5/2/2005 5:44 PM

Hi, Roberta!

Malibuite...you MUST be a So. CA gal...I drive out on bay area mornings at 5:30 in the 40's with the top down, heated seats and air scarf and it is wonderful...[:p][:D][8D]
Well started out in Southeast US and now Southern Cal. Love hot weather, hate cold or even very cool. Hate air condition. Honestly, if it is below 65 I would have to have the heat on as well as the heated seats and airscarf on high with the top down [:I]

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
Hey gang!! I just love the great outdoors and having the top down is just awesome. The coldest for me so far was about 43 F. I can't believe how comfy it is. The windscreen and airscarf are just incredible. My last convertible was a '69 Olds 442 (am I dating myself). First new car I ever owned. But it was "Blow me away" with that top down. Probably why I haven't had one since, 'til now. The SLK has really brought back the wide open spaces for me!!

Roberta[:)][:D][8D][8D][:D][:)]

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Roberta:

Couldn't agree with you more....here in the temperate bay area, I often, no usually drive home top down. In the morning, it is frequently cooler this time of year, even to low 40's, but the top stays down until I get to work and lock it up...[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts