Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching, and reading the stickys. I found a little bit of info, but not really a definitive answer.
I have an 85 500sel, headgaskets went south, and heads were removed to replace. Shop removed heads and went to reinstall and stripped numerous bolt holes. I got the car for next to nothing from the shop since they didn't want anything to do with it anymore. I originally wanted to drop a ford v8 under the hood (i have many around the shop) but looking at the car, and its pristine condition and very low miles i wanted to keep it mercedes. 11 bolt holes need to be helicoiled, but i was wondering about dropping a 5.6 in? The 500 heads are gone, i know i can put the 5.6 heads on but what about swapping the whole engine? If i end up just dropping heads on, are there any longer helicoils or other inserts available? I helicoiled two of them already but the helicoils look tiny compared to how many threads were in the bolt hole originally. Also what can i do to get more power out of the engine. This car is heavy, and i'd like to use it as a daily driver instead of my Supercharged Crown Victoria.
Sorry to sound like a total newb. You can find me in the w201.
Thanks!

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,244 Posts
I tried searching, and reading the stickys. I found a little bit of info, but not really a definitive answer.
I have an 85 500sel, headgaskets went south, and heads were removed to replace. Shop removed heads and went to reinstall and stripped numerous bolt holes. I got the car for next to nothing from the shop since they didn't want anything to do with it anymore. I originally wanted to drop a ford v8 under the hood (i have many around the shop) but looking at the car, and its pristine condition and very low miles i wanted to keep it mercedes. 11 bolt holes need to be helicoiled, but i was wondering about dropping a 5.6 in? The 500 heads are gone, i know i can put the 5.6 heads on but what about swapping the whole engine? If i end up just dropping heads on, are there any longer helicoils or other inserts available? I helicoiled two of them already but the helicoils look tiny compared to how many threads were in the bolt hole originally. Also what can i do to get more power out of the engine. This car is heavy, and i'd like to use it as a daily driver instead of my Supercharged Crown Victoria.
Sorry to sound like a total newb. You can find me in the w201.
Thanks!
We installed a 560 in my 500SEC. Search under 'good news for' (3 words max) for my long suffering thread.
Cheers

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts