Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank for taking the time guys :)
OK so it is my intention to develop my 500 quite a bit beyond its standard design ,performance and efficincy wise in the future, and after a fair bit of deliberation have come to the conclusion that there is no point in doing anything with the factory 225 odd bhp engine when the euro 560 has so much more out of the box
Now having a 1st gen car and with the intention of going Aftermarket injection in the future can someone please tell me,
If (for the mean time) i take a 560 long engine will it be possable to simply swap over all the first gen injection stuff,manifold,senders,flywheel,gearbox,distributor,exhaust manifolds etc and make it work?
If this is a bad idea feel free to dissuade me :rolleyes:
If this is possable will it make more power and torque or would the 500s injection under fuel and create issues?
What Ive read on this forum leads me to belive this is a possable route so if anyone has done this and has a definitive answer for me :bowdown:
Thanks in advance
Cheers Joe

·
Registered
500 sec 32v widebody
205 Posts
Hi yes you can swap late into early and it isnt that hard
injection is slightly different but not to major and you will have both so that helps
why not convert your 500 to 560 its easy crank and pistons and your done
Tim

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Tim
I wouldnt mind the 560s bigger valve heads :)
Also if I can scrounge a decent long block and just swap everything hopefully it will make for a quick job I can do with the rudimentry tools I have at home and @ an easilly quantifiable cost!

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,020 Posts
I understand using a 560 block w/ 500 components will work (top end).

How's the MB parts over there in your area - Euro motors pop up from time to time?

·
Registered
'00 Mazda MPV, '98 Chrysler Cirrus
1,654 Posts
Hi yes you can swap late into early and it isnt that hard
injection is slightly different but not to major and you will have both so that helps
Tim
Hey, I didn't realize we could do that! Can the crank be offset ground for even more displacement? Assuming custom pistons, how big can the 5.0 get this way?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How's the MB parts over there in your area - Euro motors pop up from time to time?
All our mercs are euro over here :)
So I definately would have no probs with switching over the flywheel and auto?
And the 500s fueling system would be adequite for running the bigger displacement engine?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
It seems to me you are making this much more difficult that it needs to be. Why I don't know. The easiest thing to do is pull the 560 engine and trans as a unit and swap all of it intact. You can still use the 500 computer, ignition and 02 sensor to run the 560. It will be somewhat less efficient than using the 560 control system but not by much.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems to me you are making this much more difficult that it needs to be. Why I don't know. The easiest thing to do is pull the 560 engine and trans as a unit and swap all of it intact. You can still use the 500 computer, ignition and 02 sensor to run the 560. It will be somewhat less efficient than using the 560 control system but not by much.
I dont have a donor vehicle and would like to keep costs to a minimum ie just the cost of the long block and ,if it needs it, cam chain and sundries. I have a good trans with first gear start and provided it fits I dont see swapping over the flywheel and Gbox as being particularly difficult :)

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
See Teutone's Good For Me Thread. He swapped a flywheel, I think that was from a 500 to a 560 he was installing into his car and kept the original transmission.

Don't hold me to that but I believe that is what was done.
Maybe he'll chime in here and enlighten us.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See Teutone's Good For Me Thread. He swapped a flywheel, I think that was from a 500 to a 560 he was installing into his car and kept the original transmission.
Yes but im pretty sure Teutone did that on a second GEN 500 ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts