Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

50 Problems/Defects in 4 Years

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  steve1173 
#1 ·

If your Mercedes doesn't have problems
Don't worry
It will

Here's an email I sent to journalists at major newsmagazines.

Dear Journalist,

I enjoyed speaking with you today. I have included my list of Mercedes problems below.

I wish I had read your article before purchasing my Mercedes Benz ML430, which has had 50 or more problems, and 60 days of service in 4 years. It helps potential buyers make a more informed choice.

I had to return the vehicle on 20 or more occasions to Autonation (the dealer) for warranty repairs. All Mercedes is willing to offer as compensation is $1000, when purchasing a new Mercedes. Despite the many defects Mercedes Benz has not offered to repurchase the car.

The problems included a defective brake system, a defective electrical system, a defective navigation system, a defective washer system, a defective AC system, defective locks, defective trim, defective doors, windows and sunroof and a defective entertainment system.

In addition it often took 1 month to get the vehicle serviced. Often the dealer did not fix the problem on their first attempt, resulting in having to return the vehicle again for repair of the same defect.

I have attached a more detailed list of the problems below.

I get the impression that 1 out of 4 have many problems (not a formal survey).

I look forward to your next article about Mercedes Benz quality problems.

Sincerely
c

50 Mercedes Problems in 4 Years
1. Brake system defect (pump leak)
2. Wiper motor defect
3. Door problems (latch noises)
4. Door problems (maladjusted door)
5. Command center malfunction (dead navigation system)
6. Door lock malfunction (right rear door actuator)
7. Washer reservoir leaking
8. Lamp switch defect (stop lamp)
9. Fuel filter problem
10. Door lock malfunction (gas door actuator)
11. AC problem. (AC fan speed switch knob malfunction)
12. Door lock malfunction (gas door actuator)
13. Trim problem (sunroof seal fell off)
14. Door problem (Rattle from inside left rear door - loose metal washer)
15. Trim problem (3rd brake lamp cover pops off even when re-secured
16. Trim problem (rear inside trim panel defective)
17. Window washer nozzle defective on right side
18. Command center malfunction (dead navigation system)
19. Door lock problem
20. Lamp problem (defective check engine light - right rear 02 sensor)
21. Rotor in rear changed at only 27500 miles
22. Sunroof shade problems
23. Sunroof guide clip missing
24. Sunroof shade problems
25. Trim problem (left outer seat trim cracked)
26. Sun roof frame defect
27. Seatbelt jammed (left rear)
28. Brake system defect (pad wear sensor defect)
29. Defect fuel door lock actuator
30. Rear door latch replacement
31. AC problem (system not cooling properly)
32. Sunroof motor connectors rattling
33. AC problem (blower motor rattle)
34. Window problem (switch bad)
35. Command center problem (CD changer error)
36. Window problem (clicking front left window)
37. Door lock problem (rear right/left door actuator defect)
38. Door problem (insulation inside right door damaged due to melting glue)
39. Command center problem (CD changer error)
40. Trim crack (leather on steering wheel cracked)
41. Door problem (rear right/left door actuator defect)
42. AC problems (blower rattle)
43. AC problems (clicking sounds)
44. Trim crack (cracks in duct tape on door)
45. Door problem (rear left door actuator defect)
46. Washer reservoir crack
47. Right window washer nozzle defect
48. Lock problem (front left door actuator defect)
49. Car manuals taken from my car during service
50. Power steering problem (replacement of clamp for power steering hose due to possible fluid loss at radiator)

See less See more
#4 ·

Don't worry
It will

What a load of rubbish. Most of those items were the same fault unrepaired. The problem here is that you swallow any line people give you when clearly they have no business working on your car.

Had you taken the time and energy to understand your vehicle it would apparent that the COMAND is not a CD stacker and that it was never fixed. Same with your rear blind ... same with several other items.

How many of those items are wear and tear ..... oops you are blameless. Cracks ? I guess they appear with age or is it abuse ?

Get a grip on yourself ..... or at least loosen the grip .... one of those two.

So many of the items mentioned are directly related to service department ineptitude. Furthermore had you been sensible and left many smaller items to the next oil change then it would have taken only a few trips.

Obviously a nightmare customer dealing with an [8] dealer

#6 ·
Miroj - Couldn't agree with you more. The main problem in this case is obviously the owner. I'd pay him to stay away from my business. Buy a damn Chevy Blazer!

#8 ·
Write a letter to Mercedes and send it to this address. Six of my friends that purchased SLK230s in 2001 are having problems like you, especially the trim. Our dealer has mention to us that Mercedes has a problem with trim peeling. My dealer even talked me out of getting a G-wagon because they rattle too much. Mercedes had a problem on the C320s with the locks. One of my friends took their car in 3 times to get the lock fix. BOSE lost the contract because of quality issues. Now the new Mercedes will have HK stereo systems.

Mercedes is now having a zero tolerance policy with their vendors. Mercedes is aware of the quality problems and is trying to correct the problems.

I still think Mercedes are great cars, but they have too many little quality problems on cars made in the 90s and up to today.

Mercedes Benz of North America
Customer Service Assistance Center
One Glenview Road, PO Box 345
Montvale, NJ 07645-0345

FAX 201-476-6213

#9 ·
tcpgv - 11/21/2003 9:04 AM

Don't worry
It will

Here's an email I sent to journalists at major newsmagazines.

Dear Journalist,

I enjoyed speaking with you today. I have included my list of Mercedes problems below.

I wish I had read your article before purchasing my Mercedes Benz ML430, which has had 50 or more problems, and 60 days of service in 4 years. It helps potential buyers make a more informed choice.

I had to return the vehicle on 20 or more occasions to Autonation (the dealer) for warranty repairs. All Mercedes is willing to offer as compensation is $1000, when purchasing a new Mercedes. Despite the many defects Mercedes Benz has not offered to repurchase the car.

The problems included a defective brake system, a defective electrical system, a defective navigation system, a defective washer system, a defective AC system, defective locks, defective trim, defective doors, windows and sunroof and a defective entertainment system.

In addition it often took 1 month to get the vehicle serviced. Often the dealer did not fix the problem on their first attempt, resulting in having to return the vehicle again for repair of the same defect.

I have attached a more detailed list of the problems below.

I get the impression that 1 out of 4 have many problems (not a formal survey).

I look forward to your next article about Mercedes Benz quality problems.

Sincerely
c

50 Mercedes Problems in 4 Years
1. Brake system defect (pump leak)
2. Wiper motor defect
3. Door problems (latch noises)
4. Door problems (maladjusted door)
5. Command center malfunction (dead navigation system)
6. Door lock malfunction (right rear door actuator)
7. Washer reservoir leaking
8. Lamp switch defect (stop lamp)
9. Fuel filter problem
10. Door lock malfunction (gas door actuator)
11. AC problem. (AC fan speed switch knob malfunction)
12. Door lock malfunction (gas door actuator)
13. Trim problem (sunroof seal fell off)
14. Door problem (Rattle from inside left rear door - loose metal washer)
15. Trim problem (3rd brake lamp cover pops off even when re-secured
16. Trim problem (rear inside trim panel defective)
17. Window washer nozzle defective on right side
18. Command center malfunction (dead navigation system)
19. Door lock problem
20. Lamp problem (defective check engine light - right rear 02 sensor)
21. Rotor in rear changed at only 27500 miles
22. Sunroof shade problems
23. Sunroof guide clip missing
24. Sunroof shade problems
25. Trim problem (left outer seat trim cracked)
26. Sun roof frame defect
27. Seatbelt jammed (left rear)
28. Brake system defect (pad wear sensor defect)
29. Defect fuel door lock actuator
30. Rear door latch replacement
31. AC problem (system not cooling properly)
32. Sunroof motor connectors rattling
33. AC problem (blower motor rattle)
34. Window problem (switch bad)
35. Command center problem (CD changer error)
36. Window problem (clicking front left window)
37. Door lock problem (rear right/left door actuator defect)
38. Door problem (insulation inside right door damaged due to melting glue)
39. Command center problem (CD changer error)
40. Trim crack (leather on steering wheel cracked)
41. Door problem (rear right/left door actuator defect)
42. AC problems (blower rattle)
43. AC problems (clicking sounds)
44. Trim crack (cracks in duct tape on door)
45. Door problem (rear left door actuator defect)
46. Washer reservoir crack
47. Right window washer nozzle defect
48. Lock problem (front left door actuator defect)
49. Car manuals taken from my car during service
50. Power steering problem (replacement of clamp for power steering hose due to possible fluid loss at radiator)
The Brits agree with you. The BBC has a regular motoring series called Top Gear. Every year they perform the Top Gear motoring survey in the UK and their 2004 survey got feedback from 52630 television viewers and readers of their website.

All participants were asked to reveal how every aspect of car ownership experience matched up to the expectations they had when they first took delivery of their car. Each car is given an overall satisfaction score out of 100. This is made up from:
- Reliability (20%)
- Build quality (25%)
- The driving experience (21%)
- Ownership costs (13%)
- Customer care (21%)

For the 2004 survey, cars built between 2001 and 2003 were included. Data analysis experts ensured a minimum of 50 verified responses were received for each model before the results could be published.

In terms of the above 5 ownership experience factors, the Mercedes ML came in dead last at 142 out of 142 models. It was also rated amongst the 10 least reliable vehicles, coming in 139th out of 142 models. Mercedes itself came in 29th out of 34 manufacturers.

The survey can be found here:
http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/survey_2004/02/

#10 ·
miroj - 11/7/2004 12:00 AM

Don't worry
It will

What a load of rubbish. Most of those items were the same fault unrepaired. The problem here is that you swallow any line people give you when clearly they have no business working on your car.

Had you taken the time and energy to understand your vehicle it would apparent that the COMAND is not a CD stacker and that it was never fixed. Same with your rear blind ... same with several other items.

How many of those items are wear and tear ..... oops you are blameless. Cracks ? I guess they appear with age or is it abuse ?

Get a grip on yourself ..... or at least loosen the grip .... one of those two.

So many of the items mentioned are directly related to service department ineptitude. Furthermore had you been sensible and left many smaller items to the next oil change then it would have taken only a few trips.

Obviously a nightmare customer dealing with an [8] dealer
You hit the nail on the head... or rather you fell and hit your head on the nail... either way, how dare you blame these problems on the owner. Seems obvious that if you have more than 10 problems on a brand new car there is a HUGE problem. Get off your soapbox and smell the roses. If you and MRTIKKET would take your head out of your Asses you would find that the ML is made in AL. I would say it is more of a Chrysler than a MB. By the way, do they even make Benz's anymore.... seems like they just make Chryslers. But anyways... are you with MB because it sounds like you work for them by how you protect their reputation when they aren’t even worried about their reputation.

#11 ·
I am certainly not an expert but have owned a number of MBs, including my current '02 ML320. I have had a number of problems on the ML:
1. Sunroof frame is a frequent problem and I had it too. They actually had to abandon the skyview roof.
2. Remote locking system is a frequent problem. I have replaced various parts of the system, and have had the ignition lock up.
3. Window trim finish has been replaced, and was not installed properly upon replacement.
4. Cassette failed and MCS replacement was DOA.
5. AMG wheel lacquer(?) delaminated and had all wheels replaced.
6. I totally fault MB for a terrible US supplier network and spotty dealer service. There used to be a site that listed all the parts suppliers; the non-MB suppliers are the same ones that supply the other US marques. And my SA is measured on revenue, so that should tell all of us something.
...and a couple of other niggly items. But it is truly an outstanding vehicle. Just glad I have a 100k warranty.

My thoughts on MB as a manufacturer.
1. MB has built vehicles outside of Germany for a long time, and in the US have owned Freightliner for a while.
2. My '73 280 had solex carb problems a/c compressors went out regularly.
3. My '82 380sl has the single-timing chain.
4. '92 300e had terrible brakes.
5. '94 e320 wagon had a pinhole erupt in the head, after I had the gasket replaced at 55k. Bad welds(?) at the D-pillars.
6. That '84 wagon I got rid of at 227k is still on the road. While bullet proof, it was still expensive to do dealer maintenance and repair.
7. My neighbor has a new e500, and I do see that c240 loaner at their house at least as often as it is at mine.
8. Many people look for "cheaper" MB service than the dealer. How many good indies are out there, really? I gave up on them. My cars aren't the cleanest, but only factory "stuff" goes in them, and when it should.

I stay with MB because I just plain like solid machinery, and I know that high maintenance and repair cost is part of the price of admission. I give up a lot of other stuff so that I can drive what I want. German management/labor problems have to have an impact on quality. With the bad US dollar/euro exchange, prices will continue up and/or content will continue down. Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura are a better choice for most people.

Just opinions. All the best.

#13 ·
How I got a 100k warranty.

Factory exended warranty bought at purchase, but a Starmark equivalent can be added to the new car warranty up until it almost expires, according to my SA. BTW, Greensboro is my hometown, and most of my family is still there.

#14 ·
Then you will like this... I went to ORMA for a year... that’s Oak Ridge Military Academy... now I know you remember that name. Did your parents threaten to send you there when you acted up? Mine did... just didn’t think they meant it.

Live and learn...

#15 ·
So off-topic

Oak Ridge was a town when I was growing up; now it's a neighborhood.

"Live and get old"

#17 ·
The dealer does have control about buying it back, they contact the regional rep who puts in the difference from what the dealer says it is worth, a good dealer usually have a good repoire with the rep so it can be done. Mine was bought back before my dealer switched to under the autonation banner. Autonation does not care for you as a customer as they believe the are plenty more customers if they lose you. You cannot expect anything from an Autonation dealership. Best next time to avoid them at all costs, you can usually do much better for the sale & after the sale elsewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.