145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I've:

Chopped the tray

Fitted 42" XM27's

Fitted crawler gears

Added winch

Added the new seats

Harnesses and roll-over protection are going in tomorrow.

Things left to do:
  • New canopy
  • Lockable tray storage
  • Replace 12 amp generator with 80+ amp 24v alternator

:D

·
Registered
1972 Pinzgauer 710m, 1989 JDM Toyota Landcruiser BJ74 RHD
195 Posts
Your 24 volt alternator at 80 amps is going to produce around 2000 watts!!! What are you planning to add next to draw that much power? Just seems like overkill..........but then again you do drive a mog :D

·
Registered
'62 Swiss 404
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your 24 volt alternator at 80 amps is going to produce around 2000 watts!!! What are you planning to add next to draw that much power? Just seems like overkill..........but then again you do drive a mog :D
Winching will draw 200+ amps out of the batteries. With the 12amp generator it will take 50 hours + to recharge them :eek:

·
Registered
1969 Swiss 404 - 1977 Porsche 911 S
148 Posts
50 hours?

If you run the winch at 200 amps for 1 minute, it will take 17 minutes for the 12 amp alternator to recharge the batteries. Not too bad.

The only problem you'll have is if you have to do a lot of heavy winching all at once, the 12 amp alternator won't be able to keep up and you'll run out of winching power.

I don't see a problem with just occasional winching such as winching yourself out of a hole once. If you're planning to use the winch for long periods of time for some reason then I agree that you need to upgrade the charging power.

Do you have a source for your 80 amp alternator?

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
'62 Swiss 404
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not factoring in the winch, having 2 Waeco fridges, inverter (UHF, laptop, GPS) 4 x 100w driving lights and 4 25w rock lights will require more than the current generator can provide. Not that I'll be running all these all the time, but PPPPPPP (+1 if you know what that means ;) )

One of my mates here in Sydney has replaced the generator on his 416 (after it burst into flames) with an 80amp alternator. One bracket had to be fabbed, but other than that it was simple.

·
Registered
Hover, Bike, Mog
388 Posts
A measly 80 amps? We went the whole hog and got 100 amps when we converted to 24V

It's branded a Perkins, is actually a magneto-marelli and was a breeze to fit. We have a 12K lb winch, and intend to fit an air compressor and electro hydraulic pack, so we thought we'd go big.

jim

·
Registered
1969 Swiss 404 - 1977 Porsche 911 S
148 Posts
but PPPPPPP (+1 if you know what that means ;) )
True, Proper Prior Planning does Prevent Piss Poor Performance.

Sounds like you need a bigger alternator for sure. I hope to see pics of the install.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looking Good Craig..where are the pics of the Roll bar?

Was talking to charles last night about what to do with my 404..looks like the tray is going, cage going in and some other bits and pieces..Going to swap the engine Tranny and axles so should be just like a new one ;) Might go so far as to run 17" rims with some different tyres..can you say BFG Krawlers lol

Although..it seems that there is a Nissan (180 or something) motor that could be the go as an engine swap, would need an adapter plate made up but its an instant 180Hp.

If you want any parts get your list together for Scott so we can get everything we need in the next container..

·
Registered
Unimogs
889 Posts
Hi Guys,

Truck looks good. Of note is the mounting of your superwinch. It looks as though you have mounted the Superwinch "foot down" which is a HUGE problem with any of the large chassis self recovery winches. Anything over a 9500 is usually mounted "foot forward". As mounted your mounting bolts are in shear and can easily cause your casing to fail under heavy pulls. Warn, Ramsey, and Superwinch all require their large chassis winches be mounted foot forward. We ran into a very high failure rate on our Warn large chassis winches that we were supplying for fire trucks in China. 8 of 12 winches failed under load testing. Finally, got installation pictures out of the factory and realized they were mounting the winches upside down, but still not foot forward. They corrected the mounting and have yet to have another failure.

Not trying to rain on your parade......:)

Cheers,

Scott Ingham

·
Registered
'62 Swiss 404
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking Good Craig..where are the pics of the Roll bar?
Going back to Overkill Engineering today to see if it's finished.

Was talking to charles last night about what to do with my 404..looks like the tray is going, cage going in and some other bits and pieces..Going to swap the engine Tranny and axles so should be just like a new one ;) Might go so far as to run 17" rims with some different tyres..can you say BFG Krawlers lol
What do you mean 'Just like a new one' ?
They already are just like new! I hit the 20,000km mark in mine last weekend...

Keep the 20's and MPT81's. Use all that extra cash you save to get power steering or hydro assist.

Although..it seems that there is a Nissan (180 or something) motor that could be the go as an engine swap, would need an adapter plate made up but its an instant 180Hp.
Just drive it till it dies. Then put a new motor in it...

If you want any parts get your list together for Scott so we can get everything we need in the next container..
In progress. Sam is interested in a 404 or 416 Doka if we can find one...

·
Registered
'62 Swiss 404
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Guys,

Truck looks good. Of note is the mounting of your superwinch. It looks as though you have mounted the Superwinch "foot down" which is a HUGE problem with any of the large chassis self recovery winches. Anything over a 9500 is usually mounted "foot forward". As mounted your mounting bolts are in shear and can easily cause your casing to fail under heavy pulls. Warn, Ramsey, and Superwinch all require their large chassis winches be mounted foot forward. We ran into a very high failure rate on our Warn large chassis winches that we were supplying for fire trucks in China. 8 of 12 winches failed under load testing. Finally, got installation pictures out of the factory and realized they were mounting the winches upside down, but still not foot forward. They corrected the mounting and have yet to have another failure.

Not trying to rain on your parade......:)

Cheers,

Scott Ingham
Thanks for the tip. I will talk to the workshop that have fitted it this afternoon...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks Scott..We knew there was a reason we let Gonzo mount his first he he he need to flick you an email as I want to get a few bits will get some pics of the Pinzgauer that you got for us..you certainly made someones year with that truck and i think you will like whats been happening to it.

Hey Craig..Charles found an interesting solution to the power steering question which will probably go in his pinz..will post a new thread though as it would be interesting to see everyones thoughts.and there is a spare 404 in my driveway if Sam is interested lol

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
Hi Guys,

Truck looks good. Of note is the mounting of your superwinch. It looks as though you have mounted the Superwinch "foot down" which is a HUGE problem ....
Scott, or someone please explain "foot up" and "foot down"?

I assume you are calling the section of the winch with the holes in for mounting to the winch plate/vehicle "the foot" , but ...... "assuming" well you know can lead one ass-tray.

·
Registered
'62 Swiss 404
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, the word 'foot' referes to the mounting bolt.

The winchplate that Scott sells is here - you can see how it mounts 'foot forward'

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
Yeah, the word 'foot' referes to the mounting bolt....
ok thanx. Makes since. all the yeeps and yotas out there with foot down have allways made me nervous. My old winch (Pierce 12000) is a foot forward type too.

·
Registered
U1600AG + a LR 90
995 Posts
the irony is most good HD winch (PTO/worm drive) mount foot down because they are built right in the first place & normally by the manufacture there bares its name rather than by 3rd parties in far off places as a rebadgeing exercise often using lower using lower spec than the 3rd parties use on there own winches so they can make them cosmetically more appealing.

e.g. the superwinch EP 16.5, EP 12.5, EP 9.0 are made by Comeup being based on the forms of the DV-15000, DV-12000, DV-9000

e.g.
EP 12.5

superwinch EP 12.5
DV-12000

come up DV-12000

·
Registered
'62 Swiss 404
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I had a chat to my engineer that fitted the all the bits including the winch plate. In his opinion, foot down was fine.
I queried all what he said pointing out that the manufacturer advises foot forward, and that Scott @ Expedition Imports had seen failures in the past.
Again he reiterated that with the bolts used, the 404 weighing 2700kgs and the forces expected it would be fine. He warranted his work so I am happy.

It is a bloody tight fit with the Corbeau Baja Ultra SS seat :eek:
Once you are in it is fine...

Onto the pics!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts