Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 S600 Coupe. Former 83 300D, 97 C230, 93 400E, 92 500SL, a few others
386 Posts
Roadforce balancing my Eltanins with Continental tires got rid of my shimmy issues. Before I did that, readjusting front wheel bearing freeplay made a big difference also. I still get shake for 5 miles after letting the car sit overnight, until they get themselves round again. I thought the tires might have some nylon plies, but they don't, so I'm not sure why they take such a "set".

Jon
I wish it were that simple for me. I've been through 3 RFBs, I RFB all my cars with any new tires or wheels. The 140s have multiple shimmy points in multiple areas, these threads are all over the place and I hate to get off topic, I hope OP checks all these areas. For me, everything mentioned has been ruled out except for the steering box, which I don't have much faith is resolving a shimmy issue. Curious how that component would be related to a shimmy.

·
Premium Member
MY96 S500 & MY96 S600
3,169 Posts
Where were you when I needed some advice about my '94 S500 coupe's tires. When I made the change from 'stock' wheels/tires, 235/60-16 to 245/45-18 wheels/tires, there was a vibration that actually NEVER went away . . . for 12 years which was the life of the tires (Michelin Pilot Sport - early model tires). It was minimized but never removed . . . until I replaced the tires to Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. NOT EVEN A WIGGLE at any speed!!

Who would have believed that this could happen. Tnx, Joe for your insight!
Yes the myth surrounding these cars has a strong tendency to make owners over complicate things. I've also bought brand new quality name tires, out of round from new, and the tire retailers here allow for some out of round to be within spec which is very frustrating.

BTW there was a W220 owner who replaced & rebuilt his tail shaft numerous times to remove a vibration. It ended up being one or more of the wheels/tires.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts