Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350,C230Komp
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very surprised that the 10 spokes RIM cost more than the 5 spokes AMG ones.

My SLK350 came with the standard 10 spokes rim and I really like the 5 spokes AMG style.

I called my MB dealer today and found the cost as follows:

5 spokes AMG front 17" rim $730 Canadian
5 spokes AMG back 17" rim $793 Canadian

10 spokes front 17" rim $930 Canadian
10 spokes back 17" rim $970 Canadian

Can someone check if the 5 spokes AMG rim cost less in your area?

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I'm not surprised at all. The 10 spoke wheels are far more complex. The 5 spoke AMG wheels are 5 flat slabs of aluminim alloy. The AMG wheel should be a lot less difficult to finish after they are cast.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i second that.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Bit sad, but I went for 10 spokes, coz in the UK they are about £100 sterling more + a little bit exclusive + they look good when the car's standing still...... minus points - they're a b&^^$r to keep clean, and I understand (or understood - - I was told in Bremen), they are standard in the US of A

p.s. still waiting for Bev to pm me to let me know when she wants to drive a 'real one'[8)][8)]

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Duo-Art - 3/31/2005 6:37 PM

I never have trouble cleaning my 10 spoke wheels. That's what the guy's at the local car wash are for.
[:0][:0][:0]You let someone else go near your car[B)][:(][?]

p.s seeing you're from the USA, does 'detailing' mean washing/cleaning - allways been confused by that one!!

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Woolly - 4/2/2005 10:51 AM

Duo-Art - 3/31/2005 6:37 PM

I never have trouble cleaning my 10 spoke wheels. That's what the guy's at the local car wash are for.
[:0][:0][:0]You let someone else go near your car[B)][:(][?]

p.s seeing you're from the USA, does 'detailing' mean washing/cleaning - allways been confused by that one!!
Hi, Wool!

Where I am, detailing means washing, waxing, interior vacuum and leather treatment, tire treatment, chrome polish, vinyl clean, wash floor mats, etc. For a little more money it can also include claying.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I've got better things to do than wash and wax my car. I consider "detailing" to be washing and waxing but to a much higher standard. It includes polishing chrome, shampooing the carpets and cleaning the seats.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
[\quote]

Hi, Wool!

Where I am, detailing means washing, waxing, interior vacuum and leather treatment, tire treatment, chrome polish, vinyl clean, wash floor mats, etc. For a little more money it can also include claying.[/QUOTE]

Hi Mal,

on a few of our UK 24hour TV commercial advertising channels, where they are trying to plug glorified soap & water (apparently, no-where as good as Zaino products), they have 'professional detailers' speaking in a broad US accent. I lived under the apprehension that 'professionals were lawyers, doctors, advocates etc., not car washers[?][?]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Woolly - 4/2/2005 11:22 AM

[\quote]

Hi, Wool!

Where I am, detailing means washing, waxing, interior vacuum and leather treatment, tire treatment, chrome polish, vinyl clean, wash floor mats, etc. For a little more money it can also include claying.
Hi Mal,

on a few of our UK 24hour TV commercial advertising channels, where they are trying to plug glorified soap & water (apparently, no-where as good as Zaino products), they have 'professional detailers' speaking in a broad US accent. I lived under the apprehension that 'professionals were lawyers, doctors, advocates etc., not car washers[?][?][/QUOTE]

Hmmm....the "professional" detailers here are Mexicans (some of whom are probably illegal) and speak little, if any, English. But they do a really good job and I know enough Spainish to be able to tell them specific things I want done.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
malibuite - 4/2/2005 3:44 PM
...But they do a really good job and I know enough Spainish to be able to tell them specific things I want done.
Like: if you drop the washing towel on the ground get a new one and don't dip the old one in the wash water. All detailers are working the clock and will just pick up the towel and keep going. One more reason to washy it yourself.[;)]

·
Registered
2005 slk 350
468 Posts
I agree. No car wash is getting near my car. My BMW got scratched on the hood from a car wash when it was about two weeks old!! Noone will take the care with your car like YOU! And the ten spokes aren't that bad to keep clean. I put a coat of Zaino on them and as long as you don't wait too long between cleanings, it only takes a few minutes. Personally, I clean them every other time I drive the car, it's only a couple of minutes. I'm pretty anal about keeping the car clean. I think I'm in the minority, but I actually really like the look of the ten spoke wheels, especially with the stock body.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
bmwnomore - 4/2/2005 6:51 PM
I think I'm in the minority, but I actually really like the look of the ten spoke wheels, especially with the stock body.
Not minority from my perspective; I'm with you...[:D][8D][:D][8D][:D]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Julien - 4/2/2005 3:31 PM

malibuite - 4/2/2005 3:44 PM
...But they do a really good job and I know enough Spainish to be able to tell them specific things I want done.
Like: if you drop the washing towel on the ground get a new one and don't dip the old one in the wash water. All detailers are working the clock and will just pick up the towel and keep going. One more reason to washy it yourself.[;)]
Well, I think I have been converted. I took my car to the car wash yesterday. This car wash is absolutely the best one in the area and still I was on pins and needles. The place was packed and the employees were driving the cars like they were on a track and slamming on brakes and throwing doors open with no concept of hitting something. Then I noticed they were using the same towels over and over on the cars. Didn't see any dropped and reused but they certainly were not clean[:0]

I had my seat position in memory and also set for easy entry but when they were done with the car and I opened the door...nothing...even after I put the key in the ignition the seat did not move. Even when I pushed the memory selection, the seat would not go back to the set position. Don't know what they did but will now have to reset. No more car washes for me as my heart and nerves can't take it[:D]

The only problem is I can't wash my car at home because of environmental issues. There is a local law banning it because Malibu only has septic tanks and any other runoff goes directly into Malibu Creek and then into the ocean.[xx(]

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
Find a "do it yourself" carwash. I have one pretty close. When I have some time (and the right shoes!) and bring supplies (like towels, etc.) I use the full manual (walk around with the sprayer).

But it also has one automatic bay that is very good. It is completely touchless and no track to drive on or be pulled by. You pull in to the stop and the "robowasher" moves around the car, just spraying. No brushes or anything near the car.

Does a pretty good job for the weekly clean (between detail cleans) and cost $5 to $8 dollars depending on the options you choose.

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
It doesn't surprise me that the 10 spokes cost more, but what I can never understand is why there is a difference in price to the front and rear ones?? [?] Especially when they're both 17"

As for car washes - I've been brought up to wash my car by hand. And I get great satisfaction at the end of it, seeing the car gleam in the sun!! [8D]

The one and only time I took a car to the car wash, was my first car which was a Polo Coupe. The water got into the alarm electrics and set the alarm off - I couldn't get it to shut off, and ended up driving it home with the alarm blaring!!!! [:I]

Mind you, we do have a car wash in the local car parking multi-story and they do wash by hand, and was gonna let them clean my car in the winter - but am now reconsidering it - if they're dropping towels or just reusing them on every car [}:)] [V]

Woolly - I hope you're referring to your car as the 'real one' [;)] or were you talking about your ducati??? If it's the ducati - I'm soo there!!! [:D]

That's my next goal - learn to ride a motorbike and get my licence!!! [8D]

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
beverage - 4/4/2005 5:59 AM

It doesn't surprise me that the 10 spokes cost more, but what I can never understand is why there is a difference in price to the front and rear ones?? [?] Especially when they're both 17"
The rear is wider on the tires; maybe the wheels are also wider to accomodate...[;)]

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
beverage - 4/2/2005 1:59 PM

Woolly - I hope you're referring to your car as the 'real one' [;)] or were you talking about your ducati??? If it's the ducati - I'm soo there!!! [:D]

That's my next goal - learn to ride a motorbike and get my licence!!! [8D]
... Bev, just for you...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts