Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined. I picked up a 86 2.3-16v yesterday for $400. Only problem is its an automatic that doesn't function at all really.

I really want to swap in a 5 speed, since I need to replace the tranny anyway, but Ive heard a few things that might not work.
1. Ive heard a tranny from a non cosworth will not work with the cosworth. Do I really need to find a Cosworth 5 speed?
2. The driveshafts are different lengths and need to be custom made to fit

Thanks in advance

BTW, heres the only picture I have so far, little dirty but oh well, Ive owned it one day

·
Registered
Your mom
6,488 Posts
The 5 speed doesn't have to be from a cosworth. Any W201 or W124 will bolt up. The non 16v 5 speed has an overdrive 5th gear. Make sure to also get at least the front half of the driveshaft with the 5 speed.

·
Registered
Your mom
6,488 Posts
4th gear will be equal to 4th gear you have in the automatic right now. 5th will be your low rpm highway cruiser. Also the shift pattern won't be ass backwards so you won't be constantly backing up into the car behind you at stop lights. Win win in my book.

16v

Early 8v

Theres a 3rd version found on later 8v and 12v 190s, same as second pic except reverse is next to 2nd gear. You have to pull up, left and back to get into R.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,492 Posts
you have to get a getrag 5-spd..a regular 2.3 5-spd WILL NOT FIT...it will bolt up yes...but the transmission lengths are different and you cannot mix and match driveshafts...i tried it..was a very bad experience...

now as for autos..yes a 2.3 auto will fit and completely bolt up barring that you have the matching torque convertor... torque convertors are not interchangeable...

where are you located at? have a meet and pull a trans swap..

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
you need a getrag for a 16v...a 2.3 transmission will bolt up, but when you add the 2.3 5-spd front driveshaft it is too short to properly attach ...if you have sources to get a custom driveshaft made then you can make it work... If i were you i'd just source a 2.3 auto, swap that in for now to get the car driving, passing CA smog etc it's a direct swap if you have said torque convertor...then source the correct parts 16v parts. there is a 190rev member named captruff who is in CA and frequently parts out 16v's i'd try him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you need a getrag for a 16v...a 2.3 transmission will bolt up, but when you add the 2.3 5-spd front driveshaft it is too short to properly attach ...if you have sources to get a custom driveshaft made then you can make it work... If i were you i'd just source a 2.3 auto, swap that in for now to get the car driving, passing CA smog etc it's a direct swap if you have said torque convertor...then source the correct parts 16v parts. there is a 190rev member named captruff who is in CA and frequently parts out 16v's i'd try him.
Thank you very much, that sounds like the best plan for now as I need the car running as its my daily after I cracked the transmission case on my old Acura

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
it's on 190rev, yes you need a free "account" to view the for sale section, alot of members frequent both sites..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.