Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my non-turbo wagons to death, but I also think that they would drive so much better with a manual. Has anyone done a conversion like this? Is it even possible to find a 5-speed? Should I use a 4-speed and put in a later model rear to get a better ratio? Is that even possible in a wagon? How much am I going to hate myself trying to put the clutch etc in?
Really any info (or hell location of any trannies or running euro 5-speeds) would make my day.
Thanx all.
-matt-

·
Registered
1988 300TE, 1995 Audi 90quattro Sport
103 Posts
Now you've got me thinking: Would a 4spd from a 240D work on the 5cyl???...

Now you've got me thinking: Would a 4spd from a 240D work on the 5cyl???

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
The transmission may work but you must consider this. You will be reducing the top speed a...

The transmission may work but you must consider this. You will be reducing the top speed and fuel economy since it is a 4 speed and it does not feature an overdrive gear. Even with selecting an appropriate differential that will give you top end performance you will loose drivabilty and performance in the low gears. The 4 speed is matched with proper ratios for the less powerful 4 cylinder 240D. You may try looking for a euro 5 speed transmission from a 300D. It may be better suited for what you are looking for. Yes, you may hate yourself to do this conversion. There are many components that you would have to convert. For example all the clutch related items (don't forget the flywheel), driveshaft, transmission mounts. I don't remember if the pilot bearing is in the crankshaft or the flywheel. If it is part of the crankshaft, forget the whole idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.