Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know which setting on the Automatic transmission gives the best fuel economy?

I know that in the comfort or winter setting you start off in second unless you floor it but under normal driving conditions does the second gear launch and earlier upshifts give better mpg?

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
My experience has found smoother acceleration and slightly better economy with the Winter Setting, but only if going easy on the gas.

If a moderately brisk acceleration is on tap you are better with the Standard Setting

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mjhawkins2346 - 5/18/2005 9:34 PM

My experience has found smoother acceleration and slightly better economy with the Winter Setting, but only if going easy on the gas.

If a moderately brisk acceleration is on tap you are better with the Standard Setting
Thank you for your observations. I was hoping a grown up with actual experience would answer my question. My SLK 320 has “W&S� settings and seems to get better MPG for me in the “S� setting, but then I do like feeding a bit more throttle on launch if only to hear the sound of the engine. My daily driver is an E320 CDi and it has “C&S settings and normally gets better MPG in the “C� or “Comfort� setting. With 369 lb-ft of torque starting at 1,800 and the “C� setting allowing earlier up shifts I can understand why the better MPG are found with the “C� setting when driving the diesel. I was wondering about the apparent discrepancy between the two cars, but your answer clears up the mystery. I do drive each car differently and the different settings allow me to get the best out of each car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts