Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On-going for my advance preparation for the 300TE Auto which is arriving later this week, I believe it has a '4matic' tranny and is there any way I can check if this is the second system variation and also whether the tranny oil can be checked, draiined and replaced with fresh oil? Also which oil? Presume this image is of the latest 4matic tranny or is this beast which would be on a '92 300TE?

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
The 4matic system is kinda of complex and I'm not totally sure if I'm getting this right. The way i under stand it is that the transmission is the same as the a normal 300e, but it has lower gearing. You should be able to service it just like a transmission on a 300e. To be safe i would use Mercedes Benz fluid for that model. You can pick some up at the dealership or on the net.

The part you need to worry about is the transfer case. (this is the part I'm a little confused about and this is where you might want to get a service shop's opinion) The transfer case uses a hydraulic pump and there is a reservoir for the fluid under the hood. Make sure that this reservoir is filled to the correct level. My guess is that you can change the fluid just like you would for a car with SLS.

You should also consider changing the front and rear differential fluid. For this i would use some sort of high grade synthetic. The correct weight and amount of fluid is in the owners manual i believe.

I'm sorry that I'm not a total expert on this, but i hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts