Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The W210 4Matic sedans and wagons have different setups in the drive line and front suspension. Often, members got confused in threads where non-4matic and 4matic issues are mixed. I thought it might be worthwhile to have a 4Matic specific thread.

Here is a small compilation of some useful information. I just found the info to check the front differential fluid so I will be checking/adding in the near future when some parts I ordered arrive and the temperature gets hot because I want to take both belly panels off and do the maintenance in one step.

We can ask/answer/discuss all 4Matic related issues in this thread.

Front Sway Bar Bushings

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1419198-sway-bar-bushings-replaced-again-no.html

Front Drive Axle

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1426525-2001-e320-4matic-front-drive-axle.html

Front CV Boots

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1380689-front-cv-boots-4matic.html#post2914140

Transfer Case Fluid Check/Add

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1316006-4-matic-transfer-case-question-2.html

DIY 4Matic Front Differential Fluid Change

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1448574-diy-4matic-front-differential-fluid-change.html

Rubber Meets The Road :D (Friends don't let friends drive Mercedes without Michelins)

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1441973-i-bought-set-michelin-primacy-mxv4s.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1445905-new-ride-about-600-a.html

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front Lower Ball Joints

I know Sergio has replaced the front lower ball joints on his 4Matic, but I do not think there was a procedure posted.

The procedure for 4Matic is different (more complicated) than non-4Matic. I have not done mine but here is the WIS document for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
the engine mounts are different as well... I've only done the right, haven't done the left but... I know the part no's were different from "regular" cars.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Lou, nice of you to put this together for the 4matic folks.

Kris, the original DIY stickies that OBX started were simply threads he created from posts he liked, then he stuck them. I'm sure the oiler guys would owe you a debt of gratitude if you created such a list of common diesel issues and I'll bet Matt would sticky it as well. Then you could be like the rest of us and say "hey, look in the stickies". LOL.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
824 Posts
the engine mounts are different as well... I've only done the right, haven't done the left but... I know the part no's were different from "regular" cars.
They are also mounted differently. The passenger side looks like a piece of cake to replace. I'm planning on replacing them sometime this summer.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
KEEP IT GOING!!!

Hi. I'm new on hear and think this place is great. I have found the answer to almost every question I've had on my car so far. I have caught myself using unrecommended engine oil (and the proper type to use). I even learned how to check/change my transmission and transfer case fluids, which Stealer informed were "lifetime" fluids(BS-I don't believe any oil can last forever!). Anyway, to the point, to find this 4MATIC only forum is GOLD.:thumbsup: Please keep it goin'. There's alot of info on hear and many times 4MATIC info is hard to find/sort out.
**BTW, Loubapache, would greatly appreciate the intel on that differential level check when you know all the details.
Later everyone.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi. I'm new on hear and think this place is great. I have found the answer to almost every question I've had on my car so far. I have caught myself using unrecommended engine oil (and the proper type to use). I even learned how to check/change my transmission and transfer case fluids, which Stealer informed were "lifetime" fluids(BS-I don't believe any oil can last forever!). Anyway, to the point, to find this 4MATIC only forum is GOLD.:thumbsup: Please keep it goin'. There's alot of info on hear and many times 4MATIC info is hard to find/sort out.
**BTW, Loubapache, would greatly appreciate the intel on that differential level check when you know all the details.
Later everyone.
richienga: I have the necessary stuffs to do the front differential oil check/change but I am pre-occupied by the transmission problem in my (non-4Mtic) 1997 E320 for the time being.

Basically, I want to do the coolant, transmission fluid, and the front differential all together for my 4Matic wagon once it is up in the air and both belly panels pulled.

Now it looks like the transmission filter/gasket will have to go to the non 4-Matic sedan first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK, I understand. That's exactly what I'm doing to mine sometime this week or next. I am going to change every fluid (engine,trans,transfer case, brake,coolant,pwr steering); change water pump, idler, belt, plugs&wires, etc. Anyway, I've found the instructions and/or breakdowns for all the components thus far except for front differential. It may be easy, I haven't actually got underneath and examined it. Hopefully it's as simple as rear differential shows to be to change.
BTW, Good luck with the tranny problem. If it happens to be slipping, look up the "Regulating Pressure Control Valve Spring" on here. From what I've heard/read, seems to be the biggest plague on these trannys.:eek:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I understand. That's exactly what I'm doing to mine sometime this week or next. I am going to change every fluid (engine,trans,transfer case, brake,coolant,pwr steering); change water pump, idler, belt, plugs&wires, etc. Anyway, I've found the instructions and/or breakdowns for all the components thus far except for front differential. It may be easy, I haven't actually got underneath and examined it. Hopefully it's as simple as rear differential shows to be to change.
BTW, Good luck with the tranny problem. If it happens to be slipping, look up the "Regulating Pressure Control Valve Spring" on here. From what I've heard/read, seems to be the biggest plague on these trannys.:eek:
Franasia just posted the front differential fluid change and I have linked to the original post of this thread. So if you go to the OP you should see the link there.

The tranny problem I have is 99% the conductor plate and it has been bothering for years. Last week it finally went into (electric) limp mode. Now I am waiting for diagnostic equipment so I can read the MB EGS codes to make sure of the problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
4matic front engine mount notes per loubapache:

The WIS procedure for the 4Matic, unfortunately, calls for the disconnect of the O2 sensor(s) and the removal of the (left) exhaust pipe, for the left (driver) side engine mount.
The 4matic engine mount removal process differs tremendous from G-AMG's post here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1340690-photo-diy-engine-mount-replacements-4.html

1) do NOT remove the a/c compressor as it will NOT help in the driver side engine mount removal process
2) due to 1) do NOT remove the serpentine belt by torquing the idler pulley

do NOT follow Witek_M's post of "Take off swaybar brackets and lower it." as the way to create space to remove driver side mount.

follow the quoted procedure above, and it'll actually be just as easy as doing the non-4matic's engine mount.

the 2 rear exhaust bolts require 10mm + 13mm socket/spanners, the 2 front exhaust bolt are 13mm requiring long extensions. There are 2 O2 sensors quick disconnects, do NOT remove the O2 sensors with a 19mm wrench.

the bracket in the rear holding left / right exhaust pipes tight requires a 13mm socket.

My left side mount was severely leaking fluid tho my right mount was in excellent condition (barely 1/2" shorter than the new mount). This has cured 80% of my vibration problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Help Replacing Front Coil Springs on 4-matic

Glad to see this thread.

I replaced my front axle shafts on my 2000 E320 last year - no problem. Took me about 1 hour on the first side, and a half hour on the second side (I've done dozens of these on other cars, so knew what to expect).

Recently one of my front coils busted. The Klann coil spring compressor everyone praises would never work, because of the shock being mounted inside the coil (not a traditional coil-over with the shock attached to the coil though).

Any ideas on the proper tool for compressing these springs?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks.

I found the tool you show, and yes, it is very expensive (anywhere from $600 to $900).

I wonder if this one would work. It lists Mercedes as an application, but when I sent a note to the seller on ebay, they did not have an application list to confirm specific models.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh, I forgot to include that this set is on ebay with a buy it now price of $269.

WOW! - I see the price of the tool you have pictured is $3200. To say this is "quite expensive" may be a bit understated.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That set does not look like it would work on the W210 4-Matic. You see that the cylinder has to be outside of the spring so the two clamping plates have different shapes.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The problem is that the method you described, tirona, is considered unsafe so not many would recommend except those youtube videos. :D If the jack fails during the lowering of the control arm, then there is a missile.

The 4Matic spring need to be compressed from the outside because the shock is inside the spring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Driver's side motor mount - 4matic

TonyC - or anyone else ...

How do you get at the bolt on top of the left motor mount? When I get my wrench on the bolt, I can not move the wrench more than about 1 mm. I will never be able to get it off with this approach. I've tried a socket and wratchet, but same effect.

Thanks!

PS - My mount does not appear to have leaked, but I'm replacing the left side catalytic convertor, so since I have the exhaust off, I thought I should go ahed and do the mount now. I may just give up on the mount though.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts