Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

sorry if this is a newb question:

I just moved from a 240c to a (2003) c320 4matic.

live in Edmonton, Alberta - so we get moderate amount of dry snow.

with all-seasons, is it still best to put a few sandbags in the trunk...or is the 4matic fine without this? (with the 240c I used to put about 200lbs in the trunk)

Thanks as always for your advice.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,722 Posts
I drove 4-Matic for couple of seasons but even going to ski resort didn't have too much snow. But even in slippery conditions never felt the need for extra weight. We do have heavy winds in CA and lot of cars have a problem with it, while none of MB does.
Than the only way to make sure is to try. From driving in 4 seasons years ago I remember that the weight should go over the axle, not in the rear of the trunk, what would change the car inertia on the turns.

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
Agreed, it would be "better" but not necessarily, errrr, necessary. As suggested, give it a try when the weather gets really bad and leave them at home when you need the trunk space. You know that if you don't do it and you get stuck somewhere you will be cursing all of us who told you you'd be fine without it. :)

Your choice of tires will have a greater effect on your handling in snow than adding weight to the trunk.

Kajtek1 is right about pushing the sandbags as far up into the trunk as you can and stacking to achieve optimum efficiency at the pivot point where it won't get loose. This is also wise advice anytime you're carrying a moderately heavy load. The spot over the rear axle turns the least and moves slower in terms or circular motion, so you are less likely to spill a load or tip over a grocery bag full of jars or fluids.

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 Cab silver/black/ash
15 Posts
I live in Michigan and have a 240c 4matic never had a hint of a problem with snow. It's comparable with my 4x4 truck in snow

1 - 5 of 5 Posts