Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A great site. I just thought it might be helpful to put together in one thread some of the top ten things to watch out for when running a 460. All my experience is with the 300GD. I've had 3 of them, together covering around 800,000 miles. As a journalist out in Central/Eastern Europe they've reliably taken me and photographers over bouldered streams by Chechnya, dusty Turkish mountain tracks, deep snow and low temps in Bosnia, and through plenty of Hungarian mud. Ace vehicle - but it ain't perfect. Here's my list, with a few questions thrown in. Great to hear your views and advice.

1. Front wheel bearings. Always a pain - and their lifespan seems to be unpredictable. Anything between 40-80 thousand miles. Is one supplier better than another? Also - has anyone finally solved just how tight these things should be left? (how much to loosen etc?)

2. 5 Speed Getrag box - lovely to use - until it fails, which it always does. Seems to rattle itself to pieces within 100,000 and the rattling also can shatter the bearing in the middle of the clutch plate in much less than that. If you're clutch rattles in neutral with the pedal not depressed, it's on its way. 4 speed Mercedes box seems far stronger with no clutch probs. Miss the top gear though - do you need a new shaft and clutch to get one of those 5 speed military boxes in?

3. Front wheel shake. Even when modified to accept the larger 463 damper, about 40,000 miles seems to be the limit on rough roads, particularly as I am running my G on big, heavy Pinzgauer wheels. Has anyone fitted an even beefier damper on them? Does it affect recirc?

4. Front UJ - seems to run at steeper angle in 460 than 461. You can't overgrease them. Follow normal, on road grease schedule and they'll be knackered by 80,000. Grease them every three weeks or after off roading and they are still good after 300,000.

5. Don't trust the axle seals - if you go into deep water, they always seem to let some water in. Play in the water and you simply got to change the contaminated oil each time. But I read soemwhere that changing gear oils often is bad - why??

6. There is a metal 'support' which bolts onto the transfer case that always cracks and has to be welded up. It causes a clank sound on rougher roads. What is it? It doesn't seem to be doing much, as the transfer case is held in with huge bolts. But I bet MB didn't put it on for fun.

7. Fuel gauge - two problems: First, it tends to read higher when you turn the lights on. Why? How can I stop this? Second, with age, they never run down to show empty, usually stopping around a quarter. Any ideas?

8. Fuel tank rots itself, where mud, salt etc is trapped by the tank guard. I wish to fit a plastic one, but the local MB garage out here say it requires expensive mods. Has anyone done this?

9. Watch the chassis where the rear springs are seated - the ony part of the chassis that rusts. Sills as well are not too rustproof. Apparently the best stuff to spray on them is Mike Sander's wax - according to a test by Autobild it beats all the other wax sprays by quite a margin.

10. Blow-by on 300GD. All mine seemed to have suffered from this, yet all the engines seem to start well and carry on pulling well. All have needed to have oil level checked after each long drive. What is the cause of this? They seem far from knackered when it happens. The only thing on the diesel to watch out for is the thermostat - if its running hot or cold, change this first, before you start changing the radiator. It's much cheaper.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Welcome to our forum and thank you for some great tips! To answer a couple of your questions, I'll go by the numbers.

1.) I replaced far too many front wheel bearings on my 1984 280GE until I was shown the right way to do them, and it's not by the recommendations of the factory workshop manual.

With everything well greased, assemble the hub to the axle stub and tighten the inner nut to hand tight only using the claw wrench without the breaker bar. Do this while rotating the hub, and I found that I get better results if the wheel is mounted to the hub. Go hand tight only on that inner nut.

Then turn that inner nut back 1/8 turn, place the star lock washer on the stub and tighten and torque the outer nut to spec. (200 Nm?) Tap the grease/dust cap back into place, and your good to go.

3.) Those big heavy Pinzgauer wheels probably have a negative effect on your front wheel bearing service life.

7.) Bad ground/earth points somehwere. Probably more than one. Check out the main one from the battery to the frame.

8.) It ain't cheap, but nothing from MB is. I can send you an "auf Deutsch" PDF file with the parts list and shop instructions. Send me an email, and I'll forward a copy.

Again, welcome. We'll all look forward to your continued input.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for this, Dutch. I'll try your way with the next set of front wheel bearings.

Yeah, I would be interested in the PDF you have on fitting a plastic tank. I don't know how big the file is, but it should work OK on my hotmail address: [email protected]

I'll keep in touch. By the way, are some of you guys going to be visiting the Graz factory any time soon? For me it's just a four hour drive from Budapest. Be good to join some of you if you go.

All the best from Budapest,
Zoltan

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
It Bounced

Zoltan - 5/7/2005 9:09 AM

Yeah, I would be interested in the PDF you have on fitting a plastic tank. I don't know how big the file is, but it should work OK on my hotmail address: [email protected]
It bounced. Files are too big or your mail box is too full.

·
Registered
Toyota MR2 - MB 230SL - Audi TT - MB300GD
6 Posts
Pdf

DUTCH said:
I can send you an "auf Deutsch" PDF file with the parts list and shop instructions. Send me an email, and I'll forward a copy.
if you don't mind, please send me a copy of that pdf. please send to [email protected]

many thanks

:p

·
Registered
1984 230GE SWB, 2001 CLK 200K CAB
129 Posts
pm

I think you need to send him a pm with your pm address,
Click on his name and you will see his personal address.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts