Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1985 280GE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reached the end of my budget and so have decided to cut my losses. Having replaced the front right side, bearings, caliper and housing I have had to take her off the road to replace the left side bearings. I have ordered the parts from Sean and they should be here next week. She has some rust. I have driven her for a year and now believe that the time has come to say goodbye. Please contact me if you have interest. She has a clean Wisconsin Title but no other papers or door stickers so must be considered grey. I will consider trades as I need a dependable and now affordable car to drive around my parish ( I am a pastor). I will add a photo as soon as I can meanwhile I will send pictures by email if you are interested. I am open to offers.

Thanks - Ian - [email protected]

·
Registered
1985 280GE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Success at last!
Auto transmission.
A/C non functioning
I live just outside Appleton Wisconsin

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
The droopy left rear end - is that a rusted out spring perch or a busted spring?

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Bummer Ian

Here's hoping things work out to bring you back to the fold one day! Good luck with the sale.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1985 280GE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the condolences.

The sag has just been there and nothing looks broken or rusted out there. Could just be the driveway actually.

For those asking about the parts issue - this will be back up and running but I want to be clear just what I am offering and I do not want to do what was done unto me.

Mileage unknown but probably many. I replaced the speedometer by having it rebuilt and zeroed. Wisconsin treats it as unknown mileage. I have done about 4500 in the last year.

I can do interior shots tomorrow afternoon so as to post and a better picture of the rust at the back. I have left the truck with my mechanic rather than be unsafe.

Thanks for the interest. - Ian

·
Registered
1985 280GE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the interest - I will get interior shots early next week. My time has been crazy this week with Easter coming and two deaths in the parish. Thanks for the interest and the condolences!

Yes this is a grey vehicle and I will not do to others as was done to me in my eagerness to have a G.

Ian

·
Registered
1985 280GE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some pictures of the inside which some have asked to see

I do hope someone will buy love and care for her - she has great grace and indomitable character.

Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 280GE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RE: 460 280GE SWB 1985 for sale for parts or repair update

For those of you following my thread I want to put in an update.

I need to replace the wheel hub, left wheel housing (threads damaged for caliper bolts) and the gasket. The bearings were OK it was the hub that was dameged by a bush mechanic who cobbled it together so I would be taken in as I was.

Anyway I am now suggesting other terms of sale - I will either sell as is or if a buyer wants to have it fixed then I will still hope to sell near my asking but dealing with the repair up here. Meanwhile I have sought the parts advice from Sean.

I hope this helps.

Tis the season - and I wish to do unto others as I wish had been done too me! Let me know.

Ian

·
Registered
1985 280GE
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I now have most parts and she should be roadworthy by mid May. This means that I shall sell her as a going vehicle.

My email address if people want to contact me directly is [email protected]

More news when I actually have her back on the roads.

Thanks all - Ian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts