Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, 1st of all my name is Don, Ultramog was just a goofy name my wife thought up. I always wanted to do this and so I went for it. The 454 is going to sit just above the rear axle, turbo 400 dumping into a custom reverse rotaion (counter clockwise) gear box being made by a friend that has a machine shop that can do something like this. That in turn will dump into a NP205 transfer case siting in the front where the engine used to sit. This in turn will turn the original trans, which the output shaft will have a heavy duty bearing and bracket to keep everything in the right place. The frame is being braced so it will not twist. More or less thats about it. The 454 will be mostly stock with a rv cam and I will have to have a light foot. I will skin the project in 6061 Aluminum & rivets and most likely polish it out. I need some heavy duty hinges for the passanger and rear door. Im having trouble finding some.

Attachments

·
Registered
bug,nova,rabbit,sub
22 Posts
that should be tons of fun. however prepare to be persecuted for putting to much power into it and making it no longer flexible. i just dont think it should matter as long as you are doing what you want with your truck, and for that i salute you.

have a great time and keep us buried in pics.[:D]

if you need help with broken stuff this site helps pirate4x4.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will have some ford minivan springs and longer shocks and I will have to do some ramp testing. Hope that will give it a few inches left. I was wondering what exact yearor part number they use for minivan springs?
Thanks Don

·
Registered
unimog 404 1962
45 Posts
mine as about the same spec as yours exept it's a small block (406) with a gear box just as you made 6 year ago with no problem

·
Registered
71 Posts
ubermog - 3/11/2005 9:02 PM

mine as about the same...with a gear box just as you made 6 year ago with no problem
Uber are you not also using the Mog tranny in the mix somehow? Explain this further please.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The original clutch plate is being modified to be able to have a driveshalt and bearing mounted to it, the unimog trans output shaft cannot wander or move, it needs a heavy duty bearing to keep it in the exact spot where the original motor kept it. It will have a lot of gears!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still going at it, your right it is a long road, I hope to have it running in 3 months, time can only tell. Anyway I wanted show some new photos. It will seat 8, sunroof, I have two fuel cells (22 gallons each) that I'm trying to put in, one on each side. All this takes alot of time. Ill post some more in a few weeks.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts