Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a 23 year old living in Australia. I have only just recently fallen in love with the 450SLC. I really want to buy one but I don't know enough about them.

I would really appreciate it if people could recommend some sites. My greatest fear is the availability of parts. I want this car as my highway car not as my everyday car. Is it pricy to recondition the motor and gear box in the SLC models.

Thanks.

[:)]

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
One great thing with 107´s is the large production numbers, and the availability of parts....

One great thing with 107´s is the large production numbers, and the availability of parts. Lots of parts like engine and transmission are shared with the S-class sedans which is of course a good thing when it comes to parts and service. However, some rare parts can be ridiculously expensive. For example one 2,5 x 10cm (1x4 inch) piece of wood-trim for my 1989 W107 costs EUR 230 (=approx. the same in US$)!

·
Registered
350SLC, 500SLC, 300TE, 190E2.3 Sportline
690 Posts
SLC

I was about your age when I purchased my 1973 350SLC over twenty years ago here in Australia. It really has not cost me much over that time (despite being a neglected cheap example), although I do all my own mechanical work. Availability of parts is not a problem but sometimes the price is.

If possible, become a member of one of the capital city based Mercedes-Benz clubs BEFORE you make a purchase, not after as many do. The advice and assistance given by fellow club members will help you purchase the right car. I am a member of the Mercedes-Benz Club of NSW.

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. A car that is cheap will generally have a reason. It usually ends up costing less to buy a better and dearer car than to try to restore a rough one. With the 107 series, be particularly aware of rust. Even in our kind climate, there are plenty of rusty examples around.

As for my 1973 350SLC. I wouldn't still own it after 20+ years if I didn't think it was a great car. Yes, they are nice on the open road and don't feel too dated even by today's standards. Mine is a bit sad in the body and paint, but mechanically is still reliable and performs well, despite very high mileage. I would like a better one but stay with it because I know it so well and have maintained it well mechanically over the last 20 years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts