Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
450 SLC
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1977 450SLC (California Car) that needs a new master cylinder. I have a replacement master cylinder for a 1977 450SLC non-california car, will it work on mine? It does fit, the only difference is that the california one has a electronic sending unit, which the other one doesn't have. Does this sending unit do anything important, besides turn the brake light on when the pressure is too low? Will the other one work fine?

Thanks for the help,
Mike

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,747 Posts
[:)]I don't know if it proves anything, but www.performanceproducts.com only lists one master cylinder for all '77 450SLCs. I would be curious to know what would trigger the low pressure light on 49-state cars, which, as you say, didn't have a pressure switch. Kinda odd, I would think.

I know this doesn't help much. Perhaps, you might contact your local MB dealer or reputable mechanic. Brake master cylinder is too important a part to not be sure about.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,474 Posts
I don't know for certain, but do you really want to chance it considering the potential consequences?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
GermanStar - 4/3/2005 8:47 PM

I don't know for certain, but do you really want to chance it considering the potential consequences?
My thoughts exactly, Ron. Does your database show different masters for CA vs 49-state?

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2024 SL770
46,474 Posts
No, California brake system is the same as federal. The fact is that the second cylinder is from a '78. It will in fact work just fine in this case -- the only difference is the switch. In general though, I don't think it's a good idea to experiment with brake components.

·
Registered
450 SLC
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm still a little unclear if it will work or not. :) I think I will just purchase a new one just to be safe.
Thanks again,
Mike

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
finleymac - 4/3/2005 11:15 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm still a little unclear if it will work or not. :) I think I will just purchase a new one just to be safe.
Thanks again,
Mike
Good idea, excellent idea, in fact!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts