Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 72 450 SLC without aircon and i’ve found 450 SLC with factory air being wrecked locally. Has anyone done this before? Fitted a factory A/C system to car that originally had no A/C - is this even possible? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
It has to be possible but its a major job that will result in more related jobs along the way (eg heater box swap and reno).You would have to remove the heater box from both cars. The aircon evaporator unit is the first thing in the box (ie the last to remove). You can see the evap alloy fins in the car with air if you remove the rectangular black blower motor cover and then remove the blower motor unit. Obviously you would need the compressor and hoses as well as the various control switches. The fascia would need the extra hole for the aircon switch. If you attempt this job there are several things to be careful of. The main one being the control switch and temperature sensor probe. Its at the end and part of the wire probably curly going to the back of the switch. These are no longer replaceable. PM me if you need pics and more info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply - think i’ll Grab the parts while I have the chance and keep this a rainy day (or days) project

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
Thanks for the reply - think i’ll Grab the parts while I have the chance and keep this a rainy day (or days) project
Ideally,

Heater box and air con lines and valves
Fascia including all switches
Air compressor and the pulley wheel
A/C drier ( the black cylindrical thing mounted in front of the fan usually)

The hot water valve is still available new (as is a compressor etc) but all the cabin temperature controls are not .
Hot water pipes are easy to replace.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
This is the important one to rescue. Note that the wire attached to the little box at the back of the switch is in fact hollow and contains gas for the probe so handle it carefully. The probe that pushes into the finned evaporator unit is about a foot long. The evaporator unit itself is still available.

Btw both dash control switch knobs are pull off but can be reluctant with age.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
Aussiemerc
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing