Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
' 91 350sel, '12 s350, '18 144 sprinter, '08 sl550
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first heres the ebay link in case anyone is interested..

Mercedes-Benz : 500-Series - eBay (item 280596912770 end time Dec-06-10 15:46:43 PST)

2nd, it seems 450 sl values have gone thru the roof, while the 560sl continues to slide downhill.. with low $$$$ history on ebay s completed listings, thou the 450sl is doing well..

i have both, the 450sl being my dads so there s a personal attachment, but the 560sl is so superior in performance imo & the potential for expensive fuel system repairs on the 450sl given the age is not long off cars from the 70 s.

fellow members your thoughts on this ??

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,197 Posts
Earlier 450's are prettier, without the battering rams.

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
Please don't take these comments as a personal attack, I'm pointing out my observations so that you know what a potential buyer is going to see.

You are doing a rough job of representing your car in those photographs.

First, and most importantly, you have your camera's white balance set to "indoors" which is why the pix look so very blue... set it to "daylight" (the sun symbol setting).

Also shooting your car in the shadows of your house makes it hard to see details. Shoot it in the sunlight, later in the afternoon, or early evening, with the sun behind your back, pointing at the car, you'll get lots more people just looking at it with this one change alone.

Also, take two extra minutes to snug your soft top down so it looks nice and well fitted for the photograph.

Shoot it with the hard top on also.

People sometimes have limited imaginations, they need to see how good the car can look in it's various configurations.

Take MORE pictures.

Good presentation goes a long way towards getting the top dollar for your automobile.

I would be leery about bidding on it, and I'm the kind of buyer you'd be looking for. I recognize a good product, and am willing to pay for it.

Good luck with the sale, it's a NICE SL!

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,507 Posts
After reviewing the pics, I'd have to agree with CCs observations.

I do like the gauge cluster pic with the car running, though. Not enough sellers do that.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL
973 Posts
Echoing CC and Nobby, not piling on.

Why did you invest two of the photos to your dirty trunk? Please give it a thorough vacuuming and a shampoo, and then take a clear, well-lighted pic of it. That will show potential buyers what good attention you pay to the details of upkeep, and they'll be more likely to extrapolate that positive feeling to the rest of the car they can't see.

I appreciate your "it is what it is" candor in showing that, you're obviously an honest seller. But folks drawn to your ad are interested in buying a clean, serviceable car from you, not forging a new friendship.

Nothing can devalue these cars faster than rust. If it's a rust-free example of the 560 SL, take a pic or two of the underside to show off its excellence. (That would be the most weighty aspect I would consider.)

Peel off that sticker from the air cleaner and clean off all the dirty old adhesive with solvent. PM me if you'd like me to send you a PDF replica you can print on a photo printer, laminate, and remount. (Details, details!)

Best of luck with the sale. Everybody here wants you to get the best price you can--a rising tide lifts all boats, you know.

Good road,

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks very much for all the tips ! appreciate it.

been looking at completed sales on 70 s 450 s and they seem to be almost equal to the 560s.. and more completed sales......

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CLEANED HER UP ALITTLE BIT, DRIVING AROUND WITH A FOR SALE SIGN, HAVE A BUYER LOCALLY , BUT NOT TILL HE CLEARS A PROPERTY SALE EARLY IN JANUARY, SHORT OF THE 14K I WAS HOPING FOR , BUT IF HE SHOW S UP WITH CASH IN HAND, I LL PROBALLY LET HER GO....

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,196 Posts
first heres the ebay link in case anyone is interested..

Mercedes-Benz : 500-Series - eBay (item 280596912770 end time Dec-06-10 15:46:43 PST)

2nd, it seems 450 sl values have gone thru the roof, while the 560sl continues to slide downhill.. with low $$$$ history on ebay s completed listings, thou the 450sl is doing well..

i have both, the 450sl being my dads so there s a personal attachment, but the 560sl is so superior in performance imo & the potential for expensive fuel system repairs on the 450sl given the age is not long off cars from the 70 s.

fellow members your thoughts on this ??
I have found them both to have gone up at least in asking price. Reality price is a different story. There are also the most 560SL I have ever seen listed on AutoTrader. I think all these new sellers are wishful thinkers. Check the E-Bay Sold listings for the truth.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,656 Posts
The guys gave you some really good advice as far as listing and presenting your car. Even tho this is the wrong time of year to sell your car, the presentation is really what it is all about. If you look at completed sales, and especially those that command a good price, it is all about presentation. There was a recent sale of a 300SL w/ 75k, sold in 2 days for $17k from a dealer. While unusua, the 300 shouldn't command any more than a 560. It was all about the presentation. There used to be a seller in Utah, and his photos always got attention here, and the cars always sold. WHen I eventually decide to part with my 560SL, I will pay a professional to shoot it after an exhaustive detail. That is what will sell a car.

As far as the 450 vs. 560, I'd wager that the recent data you have observed is simply an anomaly. There is no reason for anyone to buy a 450 over a 560, other than a strong preference for a pre '74 (small bumpers).

·
Registered
2000 C230 K, 1974 450SL, 1980 Porsche 928, 1974 Suzuki GT750, 1972 Honda CB750
79 Posts
If you're going to use ebay, which is an auction site, let an auction commence. Start out the auction at a low price, say $1000, set a reasonable reserve, and let the bidding wars begin.
When I really want to sell a car, I offer it at no reserve. They usually get up to the price the market will bear.
Also remember convertibles do better in spring. This time of year is the right time for buying, not selling.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,196 Posts
The guys gave you some really good advice as far as listing and presenting your car. Even tho this is the wrong time of year to sell your car, the presentation is really what it is all about. If you look at completed sales, and especially those that command a good price, it is all about presentation. There was a recent sale of a 300SL w/ 75k, sold in 2 days for $17k from a dealer. While unusua, the 300 shouldn't command any more than a 560. It was all about the presentation. There used to be a seller in Utah, and his photos always got attention here, and the cars always sold. WHen I eventually decide to part with my 560SL, I will pay a professional to shoot it after an exhaustive detail. That is what will sell a car.

As far as the 450 vs. 560, I'd wager that the recent data you have observed is simply an anomaly. There is no reason for anyone to buy a 450 over a 560, other than a strong preference for a pre '74 (small bumpers).
Generally I find that the 450 and 560 of equal condition sell for about the same, The 380 is a little less. These cars are all that old that they are sold on condition. The 450 is a more solid car than the 560. the iron engine is quieter and more durable and the chassis just has a more rigid feel to it. the 560 on the other hand has the more refined features, a lot more power and better gas mileage. The 560 will also be easier and cheaper to maintain based on parts availability. Also due to the model year differences and enhanced corrosion protection on the 560 you are more likely to find a pristine specimen. For these reasons I recommend people who want to drive the car stick with the 560. Collectors my favor the 450.

450SL prices are also advertised high because they are not listed in Kelly Blue Book due to age, so people have no idea what they are really worth.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ebays completed sale s link is a sad truth to the value status of selling sl s .....most all without bids. and yes very high priced..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts