Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
T5
17,382 Posts
Drop a post in the 450 rag top forum. When they go like that the plastic has usually oxidized all the way thru and the best thing is to get a trimmer to sew in new windows. You'll have to find out the best material if the trimmer doesn't know.

·
Registered
1999 E320 - 2012 Porsche Cayman
505 Posts
You could try plastic polish the kind they use on airplane windows but that one looks a little too far gone replacing may be your only option

·
Registered
1974 450SL, previously 1986 420SEL
188 Posts
mine was that bad or worse. I used Meguire's PlastX

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
53 Posts
wow! mine looks exactly like both of the examples here and I’m not getting a new top for a while so I’ll give it a shot.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Try it and let us know (pix or it didn't happen). I think I used Plexus after the Meguire's product as a final polish/protectant. And I repeated the process a few years later just to keep it fresh.

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
53 Posts
Here is a before pic and i’ll post after pics either tomorrow or Sunday depending on when Amazon delivers that PlastX. I have no faith in getting the very dark areas clean but the yellowing might and that would help my site a lot so it’s worth it.

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
53 Posts
well it helped a ton with the foggyness but the yellowing and dark spots not as much. Still totally worth it and when I replace the softop I’ll use plastx probably once a year to revive it. I also waited too long to take the photo and it’s at dusk instead of full daylight so that’s not helping

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hmm, maybe try again or polish longer. I was able to get all the yellow off of my window with PlastX (and a microfiber towel IIRC). You do have to do a refresh from time to time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts