Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 450SL and it has the manual key release for the trunk, which is ok and works just fine, but I'd like to also have a remote button type unlock option in the rear or parcel shelf area as an option or even a remote entry for it, and even the driver door?? You know, a solenoid type arrangement. Anyone put together such a system? What components did you use, and from where?

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,824 Posts
Since an unlocked trunk just requires a button to be pushed, and the trunk opens, I would expect the value of a remote trunk release would be diminished. For example, my wife's Pilot tailgate could REALLY use an automatic opener because she has to drop her groceries, and pull up on the lid. Since you can just walk up to the SL and bump the button, it's easier than the Pilot. Know what I mean? Just thoughts. That's all. I'd really like a remote opener for my wife's pilot. I don't care as much about the SL. It's just to damn easy to open the trunk.

·
Registered
651 Posts
To do a remote or solenoid actuated trunk release, it will probably require destruction/removal of the original latch mechanism. If that's OK, I've done a retrofit on a Mustang using a Lincoln latch/solenoid mechanism. You need to scour a wrecking yard to find parts that look adaptable. The Lincoln was a solenoid on a latch that attached to the trunk lid and on the lower trunk lip was a loop that it engaged.
There are also door poppers/solenoids available in the world if you want to invent your own arrangement from scratch.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I there any other system in an R107.:confused:
I don't know enough about 107's partcularily a 450 to know? I'd think there would be, but not sure if that option came on them.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If your w107 has vacuum central lock, the remote entry control will be connected between the vacuum pump's lock/open wires.

The trunk push button remote solenoid will be more complicated.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,824 Posts
Don't all 107 cars have the vacuum central locking? My 1973 does. The key or drivers door latch will lock or unlock the trunk passenger door and gas flap.

EDIT: Correction... if the trunk key setting is in the unlock position, the driver door lock will lock or unlock the trunk. I believe that if the trunk lock key slot is in the locked position, it is always locked.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
IIRC we have a couple of members here who have added remote entry to their 107s. They would remotely lock/unlock the doors and trunk via the central locking. However, the remote systems were added to 560sl which have an electric vacuum pump.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,588 Posts
I think he wants the deck lid to pop open not just unlock.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,089 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking terms of having locked my keys in the trunk by accident, or if the battery went dead, but several things at work would complicate that scenario. If the lock was turned verticle before I shut it, or if the battery was dead, I'd still be in a mess. I guess the best would be the little magnetic key box's you place in a secret place. Actually a push button lock release is pretty redundant unless you were in the rain alot without an umbrella or?... ok, it was a dumb question I guess.............nothing to see here folks, move along.....:)

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,089 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts