Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,<br> I've just bought a 1979 450SL. When I turn the key, the starter doesnt work.<br> Everything else is getting power. After many attempts and a bit of luck the<br> starter will eventually work, and start the engine. Because it is sometimes<br> working (rarely though) I can rule out any electrical issues. <br> <br> So I bought a used starter (65 bucks, not bad). The problem is I cant get the<br> old one out!!!<br> <br> I was able to disconnect all the solenoid connections, remove the bottom bolt<br> but the upper bolt is inaccessible. I am able to get a socket on it and turn<br> it. The nut is turning but not coming off the bolt, which I can only assume is<br> the result of both the bolt and nut turning. I can't get my hand, or a tool on<br> the bolt so to prevent it from turning with the nut. <br> <br> What is the standard procedure to remove the starter? Please give me more<br> detail than my book which states 'remove the bolts'<br> <br> Please help me out with this.<br> <br> thanks<br> <br> Tyler

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On my '76 I used a 24' bar with a swivel socket to access the bolt from underneath (entry point is just forward of the tranmission pan on the passenger side.) You can then use a small impact wrench in short bursts to 'walk' the nut off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts