Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,763 Posts
I may be confused but isn't this supposed to be a Euro model? If so it should have Bosch W7DCO plugs. W9DCO were for US with Catalytic converter. They should be non-resistor plugs. Not sure the EGR is stock for a Euro either. Check the EGv107 Sticky for a vacuum diagram.

·
Registered
1977 450SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, that's what I thought! I just looked under the car and low and behold there is a catalytic converter under there. This car is a learning curve for me! I'm an old Buick guy!!! I wish there was a way of knowing for sure, the European headlights as I was told meant it was a European model. I haven't had much luck in running the VIN. Starting to get a list together of parts to order now.
Thanks for responding!

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,763 Posts
Easy enough to ID Euro V. US. Both should have the VIN stamped into the upper radiator cross support. If Euro it should have an aluminum plate with the VIN riveted to the same cross support. US will not have this plate. Both will also have a painted metal plate screwed to the cross support with paint and other codes. What looks like a VIN on this is not. If US it will have a safety certification plate with the VIN and Month/Year of build embossed and riveted to the Left (driver's side) door jamb.. It will also have a VIN plate riveted to the Left A pillar visible through the windshield. Euro might have an import sticker with VIN etc glued to the door jab.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The one coming off the distributor runs over to a valve mounted just inboard of the right front fender forward of the battery. It retards the ignition when the engine is cold.....so if you don't have it hooked up, the car actually runs better, but you want to ensure it doesn't create a vacuum leak at the valve.

But the routing is something like this: Distributor > rubber hose that you have > plastic hose that goes along the topside of the engine towards the passenger side > turns into the engine V just inboard of the passenger side valve cover > then goes over the valve cover to the little solenoid valve just forward of the battery. That valve has a vacuum supply to it via another hose. Here is a picture, one of the plastic hoses goes to the distributor, the other goes to the vacuum source, hadn't really ever traced that one. I'm a newbie.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice to see you are making progress on your car. I am just starting to revive my dads 1974 450 SL.
This is my thread for the back story..

I am a bit of a newbie on these cars too other than things I learned about them helping my dad with his years ago. Seems to be a good group of folk here. Hopefully by this time next year we both will be on the road:cool:

·
Registered
1977 450SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
As of last night my parts list is growing.

Oil filter
Plugs
Fuel filter
Vacuum lines
Fuel lines

I got the marvel mystery oil in each cylinder, so will let that soak for a few days. I also found some of the wires going to a few sensors have bare wire showing. Looks like the insulation is showing it's age. I think the best thing to do now is cut the wires and install those shrink tubes over the wires and re-solder the wires. At least they will be protected. Those shrink tubes work great and easy enough to shrink them with a hair dryer.

I'm at the point where I need to put the whole car up on jack stands. I need to get under the car to replace some exhaust supports (those rubber donuts) and remove and replace the fuel filter and the rubber fuel lines in the back.

When I do attempt to start his (not sure when yet) I think I'm gonna have to bypass the gas tank. Gas was left in it but I hear nothing in the tank when we shake the car. I guess one step at a time!

·
Registered
1977 450SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Easy enough to ID Euro V. US. Both should have the VIN stamped into the upper radiator cross support. If Euro it should have an aluminum plate with the VIN screwed to the same cross support. US will not have this plate. Both will also have a painted metal plate screwed to the cross support with paint and other codes. What looks like a VIN on this is not. If US it will have a safety certification plate with the VIN and Month/Year of build embossed and riveted to the Left (driver's side) door jamb.. It will also have a VIN plate riveted to the Left A pillar visible through the windshield. Euro might have an import sticker with VIN etc glued to the door jab.
Now you got me really curious! I'll have to check these things when I get home today!!!

·
Registered
1977 450SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ok, there is a vin plate on the pillar visible thru the windshield. On the door jamb only 2 stickers. One about the catalyst and the other about tire size, pressure and weight limit. No aluminum plate on the door jamb

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,763 Posts
That is a US plate that belongs on the driver door jamb. Maybe the moved it when repainting. I'll get a couple of pics.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,763 Posts
Federal Certification plate. This is 1984 380SL but it is in the same place on all US models I have seen starting with 1972. IMG_0438  1.JPG

'81 and '84 Euro model plates on radiator support. 1981 Euro.JPG 1984 Euro.JPG

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,763 Posts
Must be my monitor. Pictures do not look like code 861 Silver Green Metallic.

·
Registered
1977 450SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Rowdie, your right on the color! I just went out to check it. Low and behold the entire car was repainted. Who ever did it was really good. All the door jambs and under the interior door panels was repainted. Inside the whole trunk as well. The giveaway is under the hood. The wheel wells under the hood are the silver green. The metallic blue is much, much nicer!!! My brother in-law bought the car from the 1st owner and it was blue. Sort of makes you wonder that when he (1st owner) got the car he looked at the color and said no way, and told the dealer to repaint it???

·
Registered
1977 450SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
While looking for the original color under the hood I discovered that the master cylinder has a major leak. Well, another thing to add to the list!

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,763 Posts
Body plate indicates a US vehicle. Code 494 California spec.
Screenshot_2019-11-26 W107 Decoder Results Car Classic.png

·
Registered
1977 450SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ordered a few parts from Autohausaz last night. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, oil filter, fuel filter and those rubber donuts to support the exhaust. Figured yesterday would be good since they had Cyber Monday discounts. Now just need to warm up the garage to work in there!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just bought this for my garage:

I have to say it works very well. I read some reviews online, Harbor Freight has one that is similar, most people said to get the Remington unit. Really throws out a lot of heat. I have an un-insulated, detached garage and I turn it on when I get going, then turn it down within 10 minutes from high, then it seems that I turn it off within 25 minutes. I haven't used it below 25F though.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts