Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1977 450SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,
I have created this thread to keep you updated as this project progresses. We have never owned a Mercedes before so this is all new to us. The car was my brother in laws and they just wanted to get it out of their garage. It's been in their for 13 years! Before he took it off the road he had the lifters and timing chain replaced. It ran well when he parked it! The car is due to picked up by the auto transport company we hired to get it from Colorado to NJ on or about October 12th. So we should have it about a week after that. So as this project progresses I will post pics and status.

One issue I am finding is locating new tires. Has anyone swapped over to 15" from the 14"? Is it even possible clearance wise?

·
Registered
1985 500 SL in Signal Red, 145,000 miles, and rising whenever possible
326 Posts
Yes it is possible, I bought my car with these 15 inch wheels but swapped back to 14 inch.

I started with these 15 inch.

View attachment 2606214

Then went to steel 14 inch.

View attachment 2606215
Nice pics. Mine came with 8-hole 15 inch wheels, and I bought some 15 inch AMG penta-like Melbers. You beneefit from a wider choice of tyres wuth 15s. et 25, 7j are the key bits to look for. You can stuff a lot more tyre than that in there though. Plenty of threads here on the topic.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,763 Posts
We have seen 18" but in my opinion 16" is the biggest that looks good. These are 16"x8" ET 11.

100_1695 1.JPG
IMG_0050 12.JPG

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,105 Posts
An obvious downside of 14" that I'm about to suffer for is the price tag as all premium / time-correct tyres cost $250 and up per rubber :-( 15" and higher are much cheaper obviously.

·
Registered
1977 450SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

My sister in law with some help got the car cleaned off and all the tires inflated. Car looks better then I last saw it! It's still ontrack to get transported on the 12th.

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
788 Posts
Nice car, but the wheels are fugly.... Personally, I like the steel wheels with the painted hubcaps, but I don't know if they are available in 15". Good luck with your project. Lots of knowledge here.

·
Registered
1979 450SLC
64 Posts
Thanks. I love my wheels as well with a great selection of tires when needed. Below is a side view as well for a better look at how close they resemble the original Penta AMG wheels. I took the chrome fenders off in this pic. Deciding if I want to put them back on.

GSC, I saw a dark blue 450SL for sale a while ago like yours with the AMG Penta wheels and it looked great. I'd consider finding a set of those if you can find them.... Or a set of the HWA wheels I have in the 17" size.

Attachments

·
Registered
1979 450SLC
64 Posts
GSC, here is a quick Photoshop to give you an idea what it would look like if you switched over to the 16" AMG Pentas. I kept your overall tire diameter the same with more wall height that the 16" wheel size would give you. If you went 17" HWA's, obviously less wall height would be seen.
Blue_450SL_w_Pentas.jpg

·
Registered
1977 450SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, that’s pretty cool!!
I got the car in the garage last evening and took notice of a few things. It is mechanical fuel injection. Have some rust by the jacking points by the front wheel wells. Yes, I do have the original jack in the trunk in its storage spot. Seems both the rocker switches for the windows need to be replaced. The trunk seal leaks (it rained hard yesterday). Needs all new belts and radiator hoses.
I was able to find BF Goodrich 205/70R/14 at a local shop. So for now I will stick with the factory size.

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL, 1999 c230
914 Posts
Nice car, but the wheels are fugly.... Personally, I like the steel wheels with the painted hubcaps, but I don't know if they are available in 15". Good luck with your project. Lots of knowledge here.
I think there are 4, 15" Dog Dish wheel trims in the world and Fonzi has 3 of them. Not sure of the true story but if I remember they were fitted to German Ambulances and Fonzi was on a mission to get a full set. Of course this could all be bull shit I made up in my sleep but it sounds good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks. I love my wheels as well with a great selection of tires when needed. Below is a side view as well for a better look at how close they resemble the original Penta AMG wheels. I took the chrome fenders off in this pic. Deciding if I want to put them back on.

GSC, I saw a dark blue 450SL for sale a while ago like yours with the AMG Penta wheels and it looked great. I'd consider finding a set of those if you can find them.... Or a set of the HWA wheels I have in the 17" size.
I think it looks cleaner without the Fender Chrome. One of the things I want to do as part of reviving my dads old 1974 450 SL is upgrade the wheels. I have always liked these AMG type wheels on Benzes. Tires/wheels that were offered on newer cars is what I want to use. Nothing huge or outrageous. Just a clean look. You have nailed it with you car for sure!

·
Registered
1977 450SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, since we got the car I have not had time to work on it due to vacations and family weddings! Last evening I was finally able to start working on the car!!!

I pulled all the spark plugs and gonna put some marvel mystery oil in each cylinder (since it hasn't run in 13 years) to let it soak in a bit and then will hand crank it to make sure nothing is binding up. While pulling out the plugs I noticed that someone (not sure when) tried working on the car. A good hint was that the vacuum line for the distributor was disconnected and I cannot see where it was originally attached (Need some help here). Also found a few other vacuum lines disconnected. I will try to take pics today of the missing vacuum lines.

So I am in the process of trying to get new spark plugs and what I pulled out are Bosch W9DC, is this a correct part number for this car? When I do a cross reference this part doesn't show up. I want to stay with Bosch. Just a note. This car was in the Denver, CO area. So the car was at 5500-6000 feet elevation. It is now at 500 feet elevation (New Jersey).

·
Registered
1977 450SL
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, took some pics. Quick note. Before my brother in law parked the car in the garage 13 years ago the car ran perfectly fine.
Any help is very much appreciated in identifying correct vacuum line locations

1 - 20 of 44 Posts