Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1973 450 SL, 1992 Alfa Spider Veloce Aut., 2008 Cadillac CTS 2.8
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am wondering, is there a double of the chassis number (107044...) somewhere on 450sl in addition to the metal plate under the hood? It would really help to know where it is prior to car registration here in Russia.

Also, it would be great to know where the engine number is.

Thanks.

·
Registered
73 450SL
719 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am wondering, is there a double of the chassis number (107044...) somewhere on 450sl in addition to the metal plate under the hood? It would really help to know where it is prior to car registration here in Russia.

Also, it would be great to know where the engine number is.

Thanks.
The drivers side door jam will include a sticker with the VIN. The engine number is on the block on the back side by the firewall. There is a post here with a picture that shows the location. Hopefully someone will remember which one and post the link.

Here's one that talks about the location, but it's not the one with the picture.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/732004-76-450-engine-serial-location.html

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
Norman, the one inside the doorjam, and the one under the windscreen are US only. They probably won't help our friend in Russia.

Vasya, there should be one on your radiator support, as stated. Apart from the build plate, that is it.

UNLESS, and I have no 1st hand confirmation of this, but the info did come from an R107 guru who owns nearly 10 of these cars, there is a VIN stamp buried way up inside under the dashboard. The prblem is you need to remove the whole dashboard to get to it. And like I said, I've not seen one for myself.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s ALL SOLD
32,777 Posts
Don't be surprised if the stamped number is missing. This was really a poor place to stamp it. Any significant damage to either side in front would require replacing this piece.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all!

I don't remember seeing the VIN in the radiator support - Is it on the same surface where the metal plate is or lower?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A general question I have - I always thought that the 450sl was for US market only? In your replies I understand that there were both European and US versions?

The car has US headlights, but everything else seem to be like on European version, including that it does not have the VIN under the windshield and sticker on the door. I am a little bit confused with this. Attached are the photos of the car. I also have a question on the steering wheel - is this some kind of a replacement one?

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some answers I have from the owner:

1) Bumpers - originally they were plastic and low - seems like an AMG type. Changed them to european ones.
2) Two-tone interior - was originally blue (like the part of the dash). Added grey leather inserts.
3) Steering wheel - seems to be AMG
4) Wheels - aftermarket

It looks like I am buying a one of a kind car:)

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,777 Posts
AMG used the standard bumpers along with front, rear and side ground effects. The Steering wheel is AMG.

A picture of the side would be nice. The wheels do look like pentas or replicas.

The number is stamped as in the picture. To the left of the hood latch.

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,777 Posts
Wheels do look like Pentas. The color matched molding and painted wheel is something AMG and others did. AMG only painted the center of the wheels. Here is where the VIN should be stamped and the location of the plate on the A pillar.

Attachments

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
I doubt it is an AMG car. Most likely been modified at some stage in it's life. I'm not sure at what point AMG started using 16" Penta's but I don't think it was that early on.

I also doubt it has a VIN on the A-Pillar, it highly unlikely that it was a US market car.

In answer to the other question, no, the 450SL was not only for the US market, it was made for the worldwide market. There were differences between the original version and the US version though, mustly due to emissions restrictions and 'safety' items like the bumpers and lights. It was lucky that MB had the US govt there to tell them how to make their cars safer. (pardon me while I roll around laughing on the floor).

·
Premium Member
22,841 Posts
It was lucky that MB had the US govt there to tell them how to make their cars safer. (pardon me while I roll around laughing on the floor).

Dude, it's even funnier than you think.

The original mandate for 5mph front and 2.5mph rear bumpers was not as a safety feature. They were legislated as a body repair dollar saving feature due to the "skyrocketing" costs of parking lot speed fender bender type accidents. The DOT "safety feature mandate" argument did not enter into the discussion until the mid to late eighties when MBUSA and other Euro importers needed help stemming the rising tide of grey market cars.

By the bye, part of your RockAuto and KOPerf are here.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.