Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
This is my first post. Ever since I was 12 I wanted a MB 450 SEL 6.9. A gentleman on my paper route had one and I said to myself, "self, one day you'll own one of those." Well It took awhile but I'm in the market for one and am coming to you for advise.
What should I look for when purchasing one? What should I stay away from?
Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
service history is important, records of work being carried out, regular services, work on the suspension etc...

no rust,

when looking at a 6.9 consider them just like another other car but remember if work needs to be done or you are uncertain when work has been done on the engine or suspension it can cost a bit to get fixed.

The motor should be strong and responsive, gear changes quick, car should handle with a grace of a car half its size and weight. Shouldn't be any groaning or nasty rattles.

These indicae a car that needs work.

All depends on your budget,

·
Registered
79 300SD
637 Posts
Beware of leaking suspension and faulty ACC Servo. These original equipment items can be very costly.
All the best with your search.

·
Super Moderator
89 Mercedes 300E, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,587 Posts
Well,as we all know,the 6.9 is getting harder to find by the day so if your pockets are slightly deep,you may have to settle for a less than perfect example as flawless 6.9's with meticulous service history are rarer than hens teeth.

Other than what's been pointed out above,go through the body searching for rust.These areas include the side pockets in the trunk,rear wheel arches,bumper mounting area,floorpan (lift carpet up),firewall and rockers (mostly at jack point). Also,after its warmed up,shut it down for a few minutes and attempt to restart.If it doesn't fire immediately up,deduct from the asking price.

·
Super Moderator
89 Mercedes 300E, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,587 Posts
flyboyike said:
Get the absolute nicest one you can possibly afford.

Or just get this one:

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : 400-Series (item 270116671399 end time May-09-07 11:30:22 PDT)

It's not a 6.9, but close enough.
ebayseller said:
You are inquiring on a Beautiful 1976 Mercedes 450 SEL with 40000 actual miles. This car is equipped with Power steering/telescopic, brakes, windows, locks, roof, climate control with cold a.c. and new tires, It also has original working Becker am/fm/cassette and the car runs, drives and looks perfect. Call with any questions. Thank you

Telescopic steering wheel????? Errrr,ummmm,hmmmm :confused:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Best Advice?

Join the M-100 group,
The International M-100 Group
It's the only M-100 ( thats the engine ID in a 6.9) group that's recognised by Daimler chrysler and as such you 15% discoiunt on all parts from the DC classic center.The website gives details of membership.
You also get real advice from users/owners and maintenance experts of these cars.
The best 6.9 to buy?
ONE THAT HAS BEEN DRIVEN ALL THE TIME ,mileage means nothing ,AND A FULL SERVICE HISTORY.

·
Super Moderator
18,587 Posts
mercmad6.3 said:
Join the M-100 group,
The International M-100 Group
It's the only M-100 ( thats the engine ID in a 6.9) group that's recognised by Daimler chrysler and as such you 15% discoiunt on all parts from the DC classic center.The website gives details of membership.
You also get real advice from users/owners and maintenance experts of these cars.
What are we? Chopped liver? Why pay $50 just to talk on a message board? If this site doesn't do it for you,try W116.org - Index and it's free.They eat ,breath and sleep W116's.

·
Registered
'13 911 Turbo S, '11 C63 AMG, 944 Turbo Track Car, '68 250SE CONV(2) 72 Unimog 411D, 85 190E 2.3-16
407 Posts
Has anyone noticed how many guys from Europe are grabbing all our 6.9's? From what I've observed at least half of all auctions are being won by guys oversees. The exchange rate is making it very easy for them.

If you want a 6.9 and are planning on having someone else do your maintenance then definitely get the best you can afford. Otherwise, you'll be paying dearly to get a beater back up to speed.

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
Yep, if you have to ask how much it costs to repair it then you shouldn't have an M-100 :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts