Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently the engine began stalling after about 20 minutes driving particularly at low rpms. the engine would not restart and black smoke came out of exhaust. after about 10 minutes it would stall again and then stall every 5 mins after that
following day i installed a used switchgear (i was told this part may be the overheating) the car stalled for the first time after about 7 mins.
the next day i tried yet another used switchgear. the car ran for about 15 mins and then stalled and would not restart. i immediately got out and installed a cold switchgear but the car would not start for about another 5 mins.
could someone please give me an opinion. it seems like it is something to do with switchgear but there is something else.
love this car but can't drive it at the moment

·
Registered
'74 & '78 450 SEL
9,298 Posts
Ifyou've used three different switchgears and still have the stalling problem then it's likely not the switchgear that's faulty.

If there's black smoke from the exhaust I would check for plugs fouling from an overly rich condition after warm up.

If so, then start troubleshooting from there. (Leaking cold start valve, leaking injector(s), bad or misajusted air sensor, bad temp sensors etc...)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Barometric Pressure Device Is Just In Front Of The Brake Master Cylinder Remove The Black Cap Then Turn Screw Out With Allen Wrench Try One Turn At First. This May Fix Your Stalling Problem If Not You Can Always Reset It Where You Found It.

·
Registered
67 250SE Coupe
94 Posts
my 2 cents.............maybe a clogged exhaust system......broken baffle plate in muff or build up of soot/coking in line from block to tip from rich burning engine over time..........maybe.......start it and feel pressure at tail pipe....it should bounce the hand.

grez

·
Registered
1980 450slc
134 Posts
Start with the simple stuff. Is the fuel filter clogged? I had an identicle problem in my 45 jeep and a friend told me to replace the fuel filter. I told him to quite bothering me and sure enough 2 week later I replaced the fuel filter and everything was fine. The symptoms I had were exactly as you described. Ran for a while then cut out. Waited. Ran for a while longer then cut out.

What is a switchgear? It sounds to me like you have eleminated it as the problem what ever it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts