Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1978 450SL
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to remove the gas tank on our '78 450sl. Our engine manual is not here yet. Is there a tutorial on how to remove the gas tank on a 450sl? Or a link to a thread? Thanks

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,733 Posts
Pretty straight forward. Many members have done it...should be easy enough to find a thread on the subject.

Basically...disconnect fuel lines underneath, fuel sender above, fill neck on side and the bulkhead in the trunk.

It comes out the trunk.

·
Registered
1978 350SL, 1984 300CD 2003 SLK32 AMG
93 Posts
I have done this on my 78 350SL gray market. Mine has an plastic expansion tank on top of the fuel tank, but it was easy to deal with. It is best to have the hard top off and the soft top pulled out of the well to get access to the fuel gauge sender wiring plug. I had to peel back the carpet some to get to all the bulkhead bolts, there are about 20 of them. My expansion tank had mounting screws in both the soft top well wall and the bulkhead wall. All the fuel needs to be drained so be prepared with containers. It comes pretty fast because the hose is pretty large diameter.

·
Registered
1978 450SL
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Rowdie. I downloaded it and the tank is out. No real problems. Now to decide how to clean it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pretty straight forward. Many members have done it...should be easy enough to find a thread on the subject.

Basically...disconnect fuel lines underneath, fuel sender above, fill neck on side and the bulkhead in the trunk.

It comes out the trunk.
Yup, just like that... NOT

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,900 Posts
Yup, just like that... NOT
I suppose he could have mentioned the fact that the carpet is inclined to disintegrate while pulling it off the panel edges to get at all the bolts holding the panel in front (back) of the tank..

·
Registered
2012 CLS 550 sedan
399 Posts
I suppose he could have mentioned the fact that the carpet is inclined to disintegrate while pulling it off the panel edges to get at all the bolts holding the panel in front (back) of the tank..
once the tank is out and another goes in, where doe sone find the rubber collar that goes around the filler neck?

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,701 Posts
once the tank is out and another goes in, where doe sone find the rubber collar that goes around the filler neck?
I would look the part number up in the EPC then google it or check one of the dicount dealers part sites..

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,733 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Please expand on your comment.
Trying to find the "thread" which I could not. Tried to find an "on-line" manual and the only one that I could find is from emanual on line which is not exactly what they say they are (could go to jail for copyright infringement). Next, you need to remove the back plate, disconnect 5 vents in the trunk, disconnect the return line underneath, disconnect the fuel line (drain gas tank), remove the hard top (really sucks when you are alone), roll the soft top forward, access the plug and remove, wedge the tank under the vent box (might want to remove the bolt clip at the bottom of the vent box because it will scratch the heck out of the tank) with a pry bar while pulling to the left (with another pry bar) to get the fill neck unstuck.

·
Registered
2012 CLS 550 sedan
399 Posts
Trying to find the "thread" which I could not. Tried to find an "on-line" manual and the only one that I could find is from emanual on line which is not exactly what they say they are (could go to jail for copyright infringement). Next, you need to remove the back plate, disconnect 5 vents in the trunk, disconnect the return line underneath, disconnect the fuel line (drain gas tank), remove the hard top (really sucks when you are alone), roll the soft top forward, access the plug and remove, wedge the tank under the vent box (might want to remove the bolt clip at the bottom of the vent box because it will scratch the heck out of the tank) with a pry bar while pulling to the left (with another pry bar) to get the fill neck unstuck.

·
Registered
2012 CLS 550 sedan
399 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CLS 550 sedan
399 Posts
I never did care for the gas tanks being lined.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts