Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UUMMMM yeah, I could get a base model E320, a base model ML430, or a CLK320 in this price range. Wow give me the C-class!!!!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's actually $47,050 with every possible option (not including designo and special orders)...

and yes, thats the same price as an E320. Of course, if you load up the E320 with practically the same equipment, the price is $57,140. Then whey not buy an E430? But a loaded E430 comes to $65,515, so why not buy an S430, but a loaded S430 is $90,030...<p>Give me a break!<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well. it is at least $47,235 (assuming a $36k base)

C2, C3, C4, C6, K2a, Xenon, Command<p>And you could still add Metallic paint or special order paint...bringing the total to $49k<p>(Apparently you can't order the sport seat with the multicontour option).<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Well. it is at least $47,235 (assuming a $36k base)

<p>And that is why my friends I am choosing a C32 AMG Tuned C Class that is also a limited edition for just $51k out of the door.....fully loaded that is<p><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fully loaded, the AMG will probably around $60k, or $10k more than an equvalent C320

And I would love to get it...but our current lease is up...NOW.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not fully loaded...

I do believe the C32's base price will be $51K, but I'm quite sure that will not include COMMAND or CD/Phone (This is the case with the E55 and CLK55). So you're looking at $55K for a "fully-loaded" car.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
90% of what you state is personal opinion

the c may have a SLIGHTLY larger rear seat but not to any significant extent. and there are MANY peple who would flatly disagree about your opion of the fit and finish of these cars vs the c-class. European Car and others have stated that bentley and audi make the highest quality and best looking interiors in the world lately. the c-class and most other merc's are good cars but they are overrated. some people still can't see beyond the archaic social significance of the brand. i dont see how any spec sheet could support your idea that the base c class is better equipped than a base 3 or A4. value wise (and this means not factoring in "status symbol" into the equation) the C is a dinosaur. and i just dont see how in the world this new c with sport could have "equal or better handling" than its competitors. i just dont. and i predict it WON'T. and finally remember that the A4 you r using for comparison is 5 years old. wait until the new one comes out.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WRONG

"BMW may have a slightly better acceleration and handling" - SLIGHTLY? are you kidding? i haven't driven the new c320 but i dont think the difference will be SLIGHT. yes, the A4 2.8 quattro/auto is slower than the C320 but there is a .4 liter diff there. compare the A4 2.8 with the C240 (which is a 2.6 L) and the A4 has much better acceleration. and with respect to the handling the A4 probably will handle better than BOTH the C's too. hell, in a recent C&D comparison between the 328i sport and A4 2.8 sport the bimmer won by a point! and you think the new c will handle better than the bimmer? and BTW- hard acceleration isn't hard for a car engineered to be accelerated hard and i don't know how you drive but if you enjoy driving you don't buy a car like honda accord out of choice. then again, that is probably why you r buying the mercedes, because you want sedateness not performance (oh i mean you Do want performance but of the MB kind). and finally, the prices you calculated don't take into consideration one IMPORTANT thing- you can negotiate BELOW msrp for the audi and bimmer but MB makes you pay their non-negotiable philosophy ---MSRP (in all fairness this is about 7% over invoice but you can do better with the others.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you must be a genius

you r probably the only guy the planet who can judge a good car based solely on the axle being powered. and if the only true luxury/performance cars in the world are the one's you personally like, the brother, you need help. you are MISSING out. what a goober.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Opinion, Autocar's Opinion, Auto Motor und Sport's Opinion

A quick browse of the BMW E46 bulletin board will show the wide spread disappointment with the 330's steering. The Audi has a nicely appointed interior well short of the features found on its similarly priced competitors.<p>MB, with S and now C, has moved to the head of the class. Active suspensions, intelligent radar driven cruise control, etc are some of the features.<p>I have an E39 5-series...I've been in a new C...about the same trim level. But the MB has more sophisticated AC (separate left/right airflow is the most apparent) and little things like passenger seat memory. BMW instead seems to be spending its time putting lighted rings around the headlights.<p>When you have had a chance to see and drive these cars you will see what I mean.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You Finally Got Something Right

The discounts on the BMW and Audi make them significantly (10-15%) cheaper. But only if you equip them equivalently. Add features not available on the Audi (usable nav or phone, seat memory) or poorly implemented in the BMW (phone), and alot of that advantage disappears.<p>If you like the Audi...get one...they have a board also.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I am as a matter of fact...

but that's irrelevant. I haven't been called a goober since I was 12. I had forgotton how cute that sounds, thank you. You think I need help because my opinions differ from yours? I will make an appointment with a psychiatrist today based on your expert opinion. LOL! How old are you? I'm guessing about 17, and your parents own an Audi.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still WRONG

you are probably a Bimmer who couldn't accept the fact that MB is catching up on BMW in the sports sedan segment. <br>I see that you still refer to the C class as a dinosaur. Hellooooo do you realise the newly redesigned C class is here???? Have you read what the european reviews said???<br>I can't bother to debate with you. we will just wait and see until we all have driven the car and what the american magazine review said. If it is really poorly built, I will admit defeat and if it turns out to be a solid car, please leave this board and get a life.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For 44K there are too many good cars.....

seems like you don't really care what kind of car you get as long as it says MB on it. kind of like voting for the candidate of one party just because you belong to that party. to each his own.<p>a 330xi sport and S4 are a notch above in perfomance AND they can be had with a manual tranny. quality is the same in all 3 cases.<p>a A6 2.7T with quite a few options gives you a better handling car (i predict the C320 sport won't compete with an A6 2.7T in that dept) and MORE luxury and room even with an auto- if that is what you want.<p>hell, i'd consider a saab 9.5 and volvo C70 too.<p>hmmmmmm<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For 44K there are too many good cars.....

seems like you don't really care what kind of car you get as long as it says MB on it. kind of like voting for the candidate of one party just because you belong to that party. to each his own.<p>a 330xi sport and S4 are a notch above in perfomance AND they can be had with a manual tranny. quality is the same in all 3 cases.<p>a A6 2.7T with quite a few options gives you a better handling car (i predict the C320 sport won't compete with an A6 2.7T in that dept) and MORE luxury and room even with an auto- if that is what you want.<p>hell, i'd consider a saab 9.5 and volvo C70 too.<p>hmmmmmm<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I humbly disagree... (more)

The 330 and S4 are quicker. But most road tests have had a stick on both those cars. With an automatic they are maybe a little quicker. Early reviews of the C320 indicate its motor is very torquey and will probably feel nearly as quick on the street. I wasn't that impressed when I test drove an S4 auto (I also have a '94 Supra TT 6-speed and a Honda S2000, so I have at least a little idea about acceleration.)<p>Audi handling is interesting. The steering is a little numb on center. And you can feel the torsen center diff working through the turns. The fixed planetary gear torque slip in the 4-matic feels like a good rwd car. I would assume the Xi's are the same.<p>For '01 BMW has found a way to screw up the best feature of the 3-series: the steering. In the E36 it was the best in automobiledom. I've driven it...and IMHO is now stinks. So light as to have no feel. I thought my S2000 was bad for feel (although it is highly accurate), but the 330 is worse. Much worse.<p>Looking at the spec sheets and seeing (and sitting in) a C320, I believe it trimmed and fitted a solid notch above the 3-series and A4. For that matter in many ways it is better than the E-class and 5-series (ventilation systems for one). Feature wise, the C320 is closer to a 5-series, E-class or A6. <p>There are some features some on this board may or may not think trivial, but are important to my wife and me. They include memory for the seat and especially outside mirrors (when leaving a Manhattan parking lot on a rainy night it is nearly impossible to reset the mirrors right manually) and a nav system. The Audi has neither (I don't consider that junk they put in the US cars as a nav system). The 3-series is close but has an old and slow nav system and takes up 1/4 of the trunk to house it.<p>The A6 is a great sedan if interior space is your first concern. But otherwise I find the styling, especially from the rear, questionable and the wheels on the 2.7T to be downright ugly (I am not to fond of the standard C-class wheels either.)<p>Net, net: new C is the size of an A4 or 330, with as much or more room, equal or better handling, equal or near equal acceleration, and a much higher state of features and sophistication.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to disagree too

I went to the BMW website and build a 330i with a $1200 sports package not the $3850 premium package, all the possible option except the parktronic which is not available in C320 and got a price of $44905 and that is without the Motorola phone, voice recognition, rain sensing wiper(which is offered with the $3850 premium package but I did not choose it). If you add it up it will be pretty close to $47000 like the C320 sports. <br>Although BMW may have a slightly better acceleration and handling MB has a better ride, lower cabin noise and a roomier backseat.<br>For me I'd prefer comfort over handling. I mean a 0.5s difference in acceleration don't really makes too much of a difference in daily driving and the handling doen't really matter too in daily driving. I wouldn't want to ruin the engine by accelerating hard often.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But only one good car in the bunch you listed...

The BMW is a candidate. The others are front-wheel-drive (or AWD to make up for being a FWD chassis) luxury/performance car wannabe's, and you can keep them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, brian...

<br>bottom line is that i like all the cars mentioned, each in its own way. myself, i own an A4. and i am actually trying to convince my father to actually buy one of the new C's. since i am a 4th year med student i can state confidently that from what i have seen you dont need to see a psychiatrist but you do need to re-read what you wrote the first time since it honestly sounds very "17 year old" and simplistic.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: My Opinion, Autocar's Opinion, Auto Motor und Sport's Opinion

i totally agree that i'll have to wait till i read neutral comparos and drive the cars for myself. bottom line is that MB is just more geared towards fluffiness and poshness than the other two brands. hopefully this new c will be less softly sprung. we'll see what happens.<p>

1 - 20 of 22 Posts