Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1986 420SEL
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got the old girl out and guess what. Dead battery. Wouldn't take a charge so put a new one in. Now I have a buzzing sound and it took forever for the car to start. Got it started and I hear a clicking noise from the head. I am no mechanic, so I figured it must be lack of lube since it has been sitting all winter. Well it clanked for a little bit, now is gone. But Now the car will not accelerate. It will idle but every time I depress the pedal it bogs right out. This car has 283K on it. How much am I going to have to put into her or am I better off parting it out. The body is in good shape and it seems to be alright. But I need some help here and would greatly appreciate the knowledge from some of the users on this board. I have looked at search and have not really found what I am looking for. Any help??

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
How did it run before 'hibernation'?

Regarding no acceleration, it sounds like something is clogged in the exhaust. It could be clogged catalytic converter but if it ran fine before winter, then that's quite unlikely...

A 'wild' (pun intended[:eek:)]) scenario:
Seeking refuge from brutal Michigan winter, a mouse found an exhaust pipe that was still toasty after the final outing, and decided to build a nest in the exhaust pipe...

It just might be plausible. When I took the rear seat out to repair the rear recliner, I found a lot of mouse poop under the seat even though there was hardly any food particle there.

·
Registered
1980 300sd, 1998 e320
73 Posts
It sounds like everything might have gotten gummed up. it is also a possibility that the gas is bad. I would add some fuel system cleaner to your gas and fill the rest of the tank up with new gas, and let it idle for awhile. this might clean out everything. These are just a couple easy inexpensive things that you can do that probably will help. If this problem happened from the car sitting, then this will probably fix it. Tune the car up also. Should work. Hopefully you can get 300,000 or more out of your girl. Good Luck

·
Registered
1986 420SEL
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did everything mentioned here. Still no go. I looked at the OVP and the fuse is fine, but if I take it out the idle goes up and I put it back it goes back to normal. But if I move it around it fluctuates up and down. Could this be the problem? Like I said, I'm no mechanic, but I really don't have the bank to have one look at it right now. Any help???

·
Registered
560sel
122 Posts
The ovp is not the problem. The idle should go up when you remove the ovp. If It idles ok but dies when you push gas pedel I would check air metering plate.

Take off the air cleaner, and push down on the round plate. It should be centered in the cone and move with some resistance depending on the residual fuel pressure. It should at no point stick or bind.

If you can slowly give gas without engine stall check fuel system: filter, regulator, pumps.

·
Registered
1986 420SEL
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally found the problem, the accelerator linkage was froze up, lubed it up and now runs good. Still have a problem with the tapping noise though. Will have to look into this when I get more time. Thanks all who responded. I really appreciated your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts