Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there looking for help with my Merc 420 SEL. The car had sat for around 6 months without being turned over, when I tried to start the car the engine turned over fine and all the plugs where sparking correctly but I noticed there was no fuel getting to the engine. Turned out the pumps where knackered, after having the pumps replaced the car ran like a dream, had been starting it bout twice a week with no problems until I went tried to start it the other day there. The car turned over as normal but just as it kicked to life it dies again, almost as if it not getting any fuel. I stripped down air filter housing to get access to the injectors, removed a screw in plug at the side of the injector ( As shown in photo) and fuel came out under pressure, when I turned the key to bring the ignition lights on, the pumps ran and fuel pours out the hole where I removed the plug. When I start the car with the with the plug out it runs fine, only problem is there is fuel pouring out of the hole, as soon as I tighten the plug again the engine just cuts off. Cant figure it out at all, thought it was maybe air but really not to sure. Any help appreciated thanks Gary McD

·
66,894 Posts
You need to check your fuel distributor, maybe the fuel pressure differential is the problem. I tweak of the EHA screw might do the job.

·
Registered
96 Posts
New pumps can increase fuel pressure, and usually the c/o mixture needs to be leaned out, you may be running too rich and flooding the plugs.

Try and crank it over, if it doesnt start, pull the FP Relay and see if it fires as it clears out the fuel, if it does it may be too rich.

Put the relay back in and start turning the c/o a 1/16th of a turn at a time counter clockwise until it starts.

Thats the best I can do without a readout from a c/o meter & MA from the EHA current.

Good luck,
PTM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts