Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There

1)Can anyone please tell me where the oil presure gauge should be when the car idles.

2)When the car idles the fuel consumption gauge is in the middle and not al the way to the end is this normal and I am also finding that the car is heavy on gas.

Could anyone please advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Heavy on gas? Your kidding me.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Oil pressure varies from cold idle to hot idle and on other things. With a new oil pump my 500 idled hot around 1.5 to 2, cold idle 2.5.
vac gauge should read to the left, maybe not pegged (also depends on model) but certainly not in the center - if in the center at idle car has something wrong with it.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,292 Posts
Hi gka,

Question 2 refers to the 'Economy Gauge' I'd guess, and that needle should be all the way or nearly so, to the left (away from the red area) at idle. That gauge measures relative intake manifold pressure - either High vacuum @ idle & decel or Low vacuum (more towards atmospheric pressure- Red) on acceleration.

With the engine OFF, no vacuum is produced and the needle is all the way to the right. If yours is not all the way to the left at idle there is some sort of vacuum leak or engine disfunction/some setting off for example. IF the needle jumps/fluctuates while the engine is running at idle _ you got a mechanical problem. [xx(]

MRTIKKET is correct about the miles per gallon (What....?) relative to most modern cars. BTW: I'd rather be driving my 560 & getting 16-18 mpg(?) than driving my very trusty 86 740 Volvo & getting 24-26 mpg on regular grade fuel, even though the 740 front seats are way 'head and shoulders' above the MB for all day comfort.

Cheers, MBL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts