Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I am offering one to any serious enthusiast ready to take care of her, provided they are ready to pay the shipping cost. Bought the car in 2003 at 7 000 Euros and shipped it to Tunis (Tunisia, North Africa). I really loved it until about two months ago when one problem tailed another. The local MB dealership is - to say the least - disgusting. For certain reasons (will later elaborate for whoever is interested), I cannot resell the car here. Even if I could, the cost of maintenance renders this baby prohibitive to most of the locals who prefer "matchboxes". I have two options: either have the Customs Department claim the car (after an expert would have declared it "not roadworthy" - and I am just about weeping because whatever problem it has is fixable), or I re-export. I am offering this baby to any serious enthusiast ready to take good care of her.

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
I feel for you... my advice is to part the car. Sell the pieces and you would do fine.

·
Registered
W126 - 420SEC LPG (3/1986), 560SEL (9/1988)
37 Posts
Do you have some pictures of the car? Does it run? What problems has it got? What will shipping to mainland europe cost approx?

I could need a cheap parts car [8D]

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car's still running (I drove it today); I am no mechanic but it appears the problem's all related to the electrical/injection system. Acceleration is downright dull, going uphill is a painful task, consumption is about 30% above normal.

Depending on where you are in Europe, it would cost anything from 500 to 1 200 Euros to ship. Your shipping agent should be able to give you the exact figures.

Ciao.

·
BenzWorld W126 Host
NOW: '90 560SEL WALD & SEC front Conversion. EOL:83/500SEC 5,6l 86/300SE 86/420SE 87/420SEL 87/260SE
827 Posts
that's a shame...

I don't think the shipping cost would make it worth while for anyone interested in a 420 SEC, especially when not in prime condition.

one of two imo:
1) It doesn't seem you havn yet tried the boards expertise in getting it in working order in terms of swappable parts and faut analisys. try asking for help on spesific problems and we'll do our best. search the forums for related topics.
2) part off the car and get a good sum of your money back!

Englevakten

·
Registered
280SE 1985
25 Posts
I'm tempted , [:)], but first I have to ask , Is the offer open to the rest of the world or is it just to Europe, Sir.?

That baby still cost USD 20,000 here.(1985 420SEC )

Another suggestion, Why dont you try auction it on e-bay, and get the best bid out of it.

Regards

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. Bid's open to the whole wide world. Proximity wise, Europe's closer to where I am (except those who don't mind driving it across the Sahara desert to, say, Mali or Niger [:0]

·
Registered
80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
1,472 Posts
Sounds like a scam. Just send him the shipping costs and wait a couple of months for the car???? Yeah right.

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
PWogaman - 3/6/2005 3:11 PM

Sounds like a scam. Just send him the shipping costs and wait a couple of months for the car???? Yeah right.
My thoughts exactly... [V]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For those who think this is a scam, I understand. You can't quite trust the guy out there who makes such an offer, unless...

But this is no scam. I've given out the details in my first post. Whoever is interested can give me a shout at +216 22 69 59 80. Better still, if you're in Europe, you could hop over the Mediterranean to check things out.

Ball's still in your court out there people. My ONLY other option is to have the Tunisian customs authority claim the car as unroadworthy (only condition for me to have another car tax fee). Paying duty on the car here would cost as much as a new CLK. Now you see why I need someone to take this over as a parts car or something? I mean, this baby has rendered me great service, but the local dealership is just impossible and I don't want to get ruined just maintaining this car. Up to you to judge whether this is a scam or not. Two, if you use your shipping agent (wherever you may be), I won't see a mite of you money - and I am not interested in your money. I am making a free offer of this car to whoever can pay the freight. Your company can contact a local agent who'll give the car a lookover. It will be up to them to convince you this is real. I have NOTHING to gain. I'm simply offering more, gratis.

People, that's it.

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320 1997W140 S320(RIP),1993W140300SE(RIP),2000W208CLK320(RIP) , 1993 W201 190E 2.6 (RIP),
1,826 Posts
The only thing I'm not understanding is this; lets pretend you bought the car new, drove if it for 15-16 years, and it finally just died a "natural" death. In your country, are you saying you can't just have a car up on blocks in your back yard? You saying annual taxes on it sitting there equal buying a CLK? You can't push it in the garage, close the door, and deem it a "project" forever? You can't park it on the street out front and let it sit until the tires dry rot? All the scenarios I described happen here in the US everyday, unfortunatey, no matter how much an eye sore the nieghbors think it is. The one thing we don't have to do is HAVE to get it out of the country, for free even. For the average US guy, that just raises too many red flags. And thats really too bad assuming your an honest dude just trying to do what you say you are. Good luck, sincerely. PART IT OUT!

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I must confess it does seem strange that in short order you could part it out, make some nice pocket change, and avoid the downside of keeping the car.

·
Registered
80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
1,472 Posts
Okay - I'll entertain you a little further . . . What's the vehicle identification number? Post a picture of it. And, while you're at it, post details of your service history and a picture or image of the records.

Like was stated earlier - too many red flags.

Here is an interesting link to all sorts of overseas car buying and selling scams:

http://www.usedcarmart.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-64.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see some of you guys are in the doubting business. Whoever's interested may take up the offer - or leave it. Red flags? Probably. For the guy who thinks I drove this car for sixteen/seventeen years, go back to my first post. Why can't I simply leave it on the roadside to rot? Why should I if someone out there may use some of the parts? The VIN? Call me on the number I posted yesterday and I'll give it to you instanta. The service history? I never got one when I bought the car in the first place. The picture? I may just do that though (although that won't satisfy whoever wants to doubt this is genuine; what if I simply took some 420 SEC somewhere, or simply pulled the picture from the web? ). [:(!] Anyone serious enough can call or give me their phone number to call.

Back to you,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Please be careful if you are contemplating calling this gentleman. Many of these foreign phone numbers are actually pay per minute numbers. Something that you won't know it until you receive your phone bill.

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
he's spending alot of time and effort to give away a car.

if anyone is interested have him call you. pickup the keys and arrange for shipping yourself. he is giving this away he needs no money.

gentiletimes, why don't you give it to a scrap dealer or charity? it would be gone in hours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh well, again I am giving this car away - and it's not as if I haven't other things in the world to do but to sell a case on the forum. The scrap yard idea isn't too bad really, just heartbreaking. I don't mind calling anyone out there who can drop me their phone number - or e-mail.

I am happy to have made a spirited attempt at giving away a machine which until recent times was a fine runner. Offer's still out there to all enthusiasts and purists. I am not interested in your money! Sounds too good? You never know until you try, so why not try?[;)]

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320 1997W140 S320(RIP),1993W140300SE(RIP),2000W208CLK320(RIP) , 1993 W201 190E 2.6 (RIP),
1,826 Posts
gentiletimes - 3/7/2005 2:19 AM

I see some of you guys are in the doubting business. Whoever's interested may take up the offer - or leave it. Red flags? Probably. For the guy who thinks I drove this car for sixteen/seventeen years, go back to my first post.
Back to you,,,,,,,,,,,,
Dang, yo. Did't play "pretend" too much as a child? Re-read; " lets PRETEND you bought the car new, drove if it for 15-16 years, and it finally just died a "natural" death...".

As for sending her to a junker - it's a Mercedes, and a big world wide seller at that. THEY are in the business of reclaim and resell. They'd part it or sell it whole. Round about, it WOULD find it's way to people who needed it. Based off this, reluctantly, I must say I've come to simply not believe you[V] I say this after much consideration. Sorry. [:(][B)]

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Well, I'm waiting . . . go ahead and post the VIN. Or do you have one of these super high priced phone bill schemes? If you can't go so far as to simply post the VIN, don't bother comng back.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts