Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 ML 320 CDI
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I usually post over in the ML Forum, but I would like to report something about me 2005 E 270 Estate.

I live in Austria, but needed to drive down to Italy to pickup some supplies (paper) for my company. It is about a 600 km drive. As you might know, paper (in this case bottle labels) are extremely heavy, even though the amount of space taken is not that large. In my case I had 80 packs of approx. 5,1 kgs each.

After reading the manual, I realised that the maximum load capacity, excluding the driver and a full tank of diesel is appoximately 450 kgs. I decided to take approximately 420 Kgs with me.

We began by loading the cargo area about 50% when we looked at the back wheels. The top of the tire was no longer visible. (I increased the tire pressure as per instructions on the fuel cap. Rear tires to 3,0 bar. ) I then began putting the packages in the rear sear floor, and on the rear seat. There was plenty of room.

When I closed everything, got in and put the key in the ignition, I got the following message in red on the display. "Car too low!" Basically I took about 100 Kgs out of the cargo area, and distributed it in the front passenger area and the rear seats. Afterwards there was no longer a warning message. I had to strap the packages in the front passenger seat in, due to the warning signal from the dash.

Apart from this I drove the 600 kms with this load without any problems. Really impressive. I was afraid the car would pull to the side or act strangely, but it was very very solid.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,431 Posts
All S211 cars should have air suspension at the rear, self-levelling included (it is about half of an Airmatic suspension). When the car informed it is too low, did you not wait for it to get self-levelled? Or could it be that the load was too high for the car to pump up the rear?

·
Registered
2006 ML 320 CDI
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rear air suspension

Diesel Benz said:
All S211 cars should have air suspension at the rear, self-levelling included (it is about half of an Airmatic suspension). When the car informed it is too low, did you not wait for it to get self-levelled? Or could it be that the load was too high for the car to pump up the rear?
Actually, I did not know that this car had air suspension in the rear. Being my "work car" I have never paid that much attention, as compared to our "family ML"

After I saw the message, I immediately changed the weight distribtion. The key was only in position one, so perhaps if I would have started the engine, then the air suspension would have had a chance to adjust. Anyway, I stil had a lot of weight in the cargo area. Like I mentioned, I had no problems at all.

Next time I load up the car, I will check before and after starting the motor.

·
Registered
1990 420SEL, 1979 450SEL, 1973 450SE, 2003 C320S, 2005 C230WZ, 2005 E320W Avantgarde
95 Posts
I am not too sure, but I think the self leveling rear axle may be an option in Europe. If you do have that rear suspension, when the engine is started it will pump itself up.

In my E320 sedan, I have loaded it with ice and beverages for a party in the truck, back seat and front seat. All wheels were up in the fenders. After I started the engine, it came up within a few seconds. I have 4 wheel airmatic. It worked like a champ.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Steve (Austria) said:
Hi All!

I usually post over in the ML Forum, but I would like to report something about me 2005 E 270 Estate.

I live in Austria, but needed to drive down to Italy to pickup some supplies (paper) for my company. It is about a 600 km drive. As you might know, paper (in this case bottle labels) are extremely heavy, even though the amount of space taken is not that large. In my case I had 80 packs of approx. 5,1 kgs each.

After reading the manual, I realised that the maximum load capacity, excluding the driver and a full tank of diesel is appoximately 450 kgs. I decided to take approximately 420 Kgs with me.

We began by loading the cargo area about 50% when we looked at the back wheels. The top of the tire was no longer visible. (I increased the tire pressure as per instructions on the fuel cap. Rear tires to 3,0 bar. ) I then began putting the packages in the rear sear floor, and on the rear seat. There was plenty of room.

When I closed everything, got in and put the key in the ignition, I got the following message in red on the display. "Car too low!" Basically I took about 100 Kgs out of the cargo area, and distributed it in the front passenger area and the rear seats. Afterwards there was no longer a warning message. I had to strap the packages in the front passenger seat in, due to the warning signal from the dash.

Apart from this I drove the 600 kms with this load without any problems. Really impressive. I was afraid the car would pull to the side or act strangely, but it was very very solid.
The current standard for curb weight includes a driver (70 kg) and luggage (7 kg) with a 90% full tank of diesel. That is the curb weight, and the 450 kg maximum load capacity should be on top of that, AFAIK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts