Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a set of HID headlights from Xsighting Lighting (XE7R) and really love the design. The stock headlights don't seem to be bright enough for me. These things are 7" round and have an HID high and low beam. Only downer is that the lens is an ABS plastic and not glass. Less likely to break, but more likely to scratch.

Anyway... I am in the process of fabbing up the new trim rings and hardware to mount these things. I am soliciting feedback on the mounting and adjustment design. Has anyone done this to the headlights without using the stock trim and hardware?? I am most concerned about being able to aim the headlights without adding shims to the base. Not the most straight forward... but working on it.

Although I could form the rings sheetmetal, I think I am going to go for billet. I have ordered a nice chunk of 6061 billet for the rings! Oh yeah! That'll be fun to spin on the lathe!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I found a set of HID headlights from Xsighting Lighting (XE7R) and really love the design. The stock headlights don't seem to be bright enough for me. These things are 7" round and have an HID high and low beam. Only downer is that the lens is an ABS plastic and not glass. Less likely to break, but more likely to scratch.

Anyway... I am in the process of fabbing up the new trim rings and hardware to mount these things. I am soliciting feedback on the mounting and adjustment design. Has anyone done this to the headlights without using the stock trim and hardware?? I am most concerned about being able to aim the headlights without adding shims to the base. Not the most straight forward... but working on it.

Although I could form the rings sheetmetal, I think I am going to go for billet. I have ordered a nice chunk of 6061 billet for the rings! Oh yeah! That'll be fun to spin on the lathe!!!
You could always install these Headlight shields on them, they do a great job. Headlight Shield - Exterior Accessories - Car Accessories - Griot's Garage If they ever gonna get scratched, you could polish them.

Martin

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
While I really love HID's (I have low beam HID's on my daily-driver Audi), the price is ridiculous for the lumen output you get.

I simply retro-fitted modern Hella H4 assemblies right into the stock location and use 100W/80W bulbs. They've got great Euro low beam cut-off patterns and if you really want to get crazy, there are 130/90W H4 bulbs available !

Guarantee these put out as much, if not more, light then any street legal HID assembly. And, at 1/2 (or less) of the price ! Combine those with some cornering beam lensed high output H7's on the plow lights (with suitable wiring mods to allow full-time control) and you can light up any trail like a pro - just ask anybody who's ever wheeled in front of me at night. :cool:

It's not like you're going to out-drive a modern halogen lighting system in a Mog ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Kyle, find a set of Lucas headlight buckets and trim rings from an MG or similar vehicle. Mine were from an Austin America (68 I think). These will drop in and only require a few new holes for mounting hardware. I got everything for around $10??. I also installed the Hella H4 headlights with the city light (park) option just like the original headlights. Get them here:
Hella 7 inch Round e-Code Headlamps

I run 55/100W bulbs and they are great.

See a write-up here:
www.mogtech.com - Lucas sealed-beam headlight upgrade

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
It's not like you're going to out-drive a modern halogen lighting system in a Mog ! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE said:
Too true, or even a candle maybe.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Those lights quoted by Brad are the exact units I retrofitted. I was able (somehow - it's been a while) to use the factory ring. I remember there was a little fab involved but it was a hand-tool-only kind of thing.

The guys at Susquehanna Motorsports are good and they give a lot of support to SCCA Pro Rally. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts