Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
mk3 jetta, '76 f250 hi-boy
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to unimogs, and am interested in restoring a 416 Doka. What are your guys' thoughts on price. I am located in Wa, I don't want a completely rusted out junker, but something that needs a frame-off performed. Any suggestions on where to find, average price, what to look for/stay away from, would be greatly appreciated! Not in any rush, just trying to do as much homework as possible.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
I don't know what prices are like now but it's probably a good time to buy a DoKa. I'm sure they've come down quite a bit.

Trouble with buying a Doka is most owners won't get rid of them, no matter what the price.

·
Registered
mk3 jetta, '76 f250 hi-boy
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! Anybody have an opinion on if picking up a doka cab first and worrying about a 416 chassis later, is a smart move, or should I keep my eyes peeled for a complete truck a wiser decision. I know Von has a fair share of experience in this area, maybe he'll share some insight. Thanks again everyone!
The more I read the various Unimog forums, the more apparent it becomes how close knit this group is! I've been on lots of other truck forums, but none seem this friendly and eager to help one another!! Kudos!!

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
If you really want a 4-door 2nd Gen Diesel Mog but find a straight, rust free body (and doors) first, buy it. The body is the hard part.

Almost any old chassis can become a DoKa and nobody will be the wiser.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
If you really want a 4-door 2nd Gen Diesel Mog but find a straight, rust free body (and doors) first, buy it. The body is the hard part.

Almost any old chassis can become a DoKa and nobody will be the wiser.
Von's brown mog was "made" that way. Found a DoKa cab and put it on a CASE.

I seem to recall seeing 416 DoKa's on a 404 too .. but I might be crazy.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,033 Posts
Yes, the 404.0 was available with a 404.0 doka cab which is identical to a 416 doka. Really makes for an awesome truck for a daily driver or wheeler since they are so much lighter.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Yes, the 404.0 was available with a 404.0 doka cab which is identical to a 416 doka. Really makes for an awesome truck for a daily driver or wheeler since they are so much lighter.
Speaking of which, how noisy are DoKa 404's.

Since they're gasoline, I'm assuming they're much quieter.

·
Registered
404 Pritsche, 406 Ag
122 Posts
Speaking of which, how noisy are DoKa 404's.

Since they're gasoline, I'm assuming they're much quieter.
If Bigmellon is around, he would be able to tell you. He has a 404.0 Doka if he hasn't sold it yet. You could try sending him a PM.

-John

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The 404.0 are little bit quieter than a 404.1...Your farther away from the engine ect...I thought I remember someone doing a conversion of the OM352engine/tranny in a 404.0 chassis set up...Anybody hear of this?

I used to own a 404.115 Doka original hard cab...I sold it to a person down in San Francisco....I heard he was touring the USA with it. It was basically two 404 hard cabs put together to make a doka....Down side of it was the space inside was extremely tight. If I had known how to do what I have done now I wouldn't have sold it....The M130 engines are just as noisy as the M180 engines though which is what came in the 404.0....They had the heavy duty front brakes with twin brake cylinders...heavy duty suspension, 416 cab you know already, cab mounted pedals and brake system, power steering I believe!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts