Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1959 411.110
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 411 as a pile of parts. The included flywheel doesn't have a flat surface for the clutch, there are 6 posts. The posts are slightly taller than the pressure plate mounting surface. Anyone seen anything like this before?

Second dumb question, I'm able to move my transmission input shaft up and down a quarter inch, I'm guessing that's not supposed to happen. Bad bearings maybe?

Attachments

·
Registered
1957 Unimog 30, 1999 E320, 2004 E320
352 Posts
You have the wrong engine. That flywheel was used on the old Thermo King reefer units. The core engine will be usable but all of the bolt on pieces will be different. Unless someone thought to throw in all of the Unimog specific engine pieces you'll be hunting for parts for a long time unless you can track another engine down.

The shaft play is completely normal. The pilot bearing in the flywheel will keep it true.

Jason

·
Registered
1959 411.110
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason,

Thanks for your always quick and informative answers.

I suspected it was a Thermo King flywheel. The engine is a 636.930 model and was supposed to have been rebuilt, I took off the valve cover and everything was clean. The flywheel is the correct diameter, can the posts be cut off and the surface planed?

The rebuild seems to have been a replacement of the block using many of the Unimog parts. The oil pan is the correct type as is the fuel filter. The breather is the wrong type but I doubt that's a problem. There appear to be too many pulleys on the crank. The intake is the correct type, I am missing the exhaust manifold and generator.

Ross

Attachments

·
Registered
1959 411 Hard Cab,1960 411, 1961 404, 1970 404. 1956 401,1954 401
63 Posts
Flywheel

Ross,

FYI Mog Parts Germany price for a new flywheel is 185 euros but shipping would be expensive. I always have parts from them sent parcel post to save on costs and it is about two weeks delivery. My 411 engine number is 636.914 Ed

·
Registered
1957 Unimog 30, 1999 E320, 2004 E320
352 Posts
It would appear you have too many pulleys on that engine, have you unbolted the fan hub to see if you can remove the center pulley? I'm going from memory here, but if I recall correctly the inner pulley bolts to the crank directly and the fan hub pulley bolts to that one using 6 small bolts.

It's completely possible that later 411s had an extra pulley to run a hydralic pump and the stub the fan bolts to is shorter so that the fan doesn't hit the rad. It's probably one of those things you won't know until you start bolting it together.

The proper Unimog flywheel is completely different from the TK flywheel. You can get away with a flywheel from a car or van but I think the car and van pressure plate uses half as many bolts to hold it to the flywheel so it may not be quite as robust at the proper Unimog solution. I have a couple flywheels and pressure plates hidden away in my junk pile. If I can find them I'll grab some pictures.

Jason

·
Registered
1959 411.110
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jason,
You're right there are too many pulleys. The middle one is correct as it has the shafts and mounts for the fan. I just pulled the outer pulley off the middle pulley. I think this outer pulley was used to power a hydraulic pump as part of the Schmidt system that is now mostly missing from the truck. The middle and inner pulley are both of the same width. The outer pulley was a little narrower.

Ross

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts