Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone else noticed that all US spec non "command" equipped W203's come with a cassette deck as the only available stereo head unit? Wouldn't you think that a $40k+ car should at least come with a combo CD & cassette? It sure would look better than having that big orifice in the middle of the console by the omission of the command system...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, and it sucks...

In-dash CD players aren't available in the U.S. as a factory option because it guarantees that people will buy either the overpriced CD/Phone package ($1800 regular or $2200 with voice control), or the overpriced dealer-installed CD changer (list price not including installation is $746 for the changer plus $75 for the mounting kit, and most dealers sell it for well over $1000 installed).<p>Don't blame the rediculous prices on Mercedes-Benz, though. This is purely the greed of MBUSA. I bought the factory fiber-optic CD changer from a dealer in Germany for EUR352 (about $315). The changer has the part number stamped on the bottom that is identical to the part number of the factory and dealer-installed changers in the U.S. The $315 price included a whopping %16 sales tax, which means it really costs only $275 and that includes profit for M-B Germany and the dealer.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: CD CHANGER

:Can you provide info on how you bought the cd changer? I would like to attempt the purchase as well. Thank You!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: CD CHANGER

In Germany, M-B publishes and accessory brochure and an accessory price list for each vehicle. I just went to a dealer in the Stuttgart area, picked up the price list, found the fiber-optic CD changer, and then went to the dealer's parts department and bought it.<p>Here's what's printed in the price list:<br>Produktbezeichnung: CD Wechsler D2B fnr Audio 10 & 30<br>Teile Nummer: B6 7 82 2771<br>Preise: EUR 352.28<p>Translation:<br>Product Description: CD Changer D2B for Audio 10 & 30 (note: D2B is the fiber optic standard)<br>Part Number: B6 7 82 2771<br>Price: EUR 352.28 (approx. US$310 at today's exchange rate).<p><br>A couple of points:<p>First, the part number given is the accessory part number. The part number printed on the bottom of the unit starts with an "A" That number is the factory part number.<p>Second, this DOES NOT include the mounting bracket. I don't know the part number for it, but if you know where it mounts in your car and you can describe it to the guy at the parts counter (or just walk out onto the lot and show him in a similar car), you shouldn't have a problem buying it also at a discount.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They're following BMW's dirty tricks

Thanks for this wonderful information. I am getting ready to dump my 97 528i, and seriously looking at the C-class. Same problem with the beemers, big bucks for the car, and no cd-player/changer. I have bought many accessory parts for my beemer while in Europe on business, and always amazed at the product line and pricing available.<p>: In Germany, M-B publishes and accessory brochure and an accessory price list for each vehicle. I just went to a dealer in the Stuttgart area, picked up the price list, found the fiber-optic CD changer, and then went to the dealer's parts department and bought it.<p>Here's what's printed in the price list:<br>Produktbezeichnung: CD Wechsler D2B fnr Audio 10 & 30<br>Teile Nummer: B6 7 82 2771<br>Preise: EUR 352.28<p>Translation:<br>Product Description: CD Changer D2B for Audio 10 & 30 (note: D2B is the fiber optic standard)<br>Part Number: B6 7 82 2771<br>Price: EUR 352.28 (approx. US$310 at today's exchange rate).<p><br>A couple of points:<p>First, the part number given is the accessory part number. The part number printed on the bottom of the unit starts with an "A" That number is the factory part number.<p>Second, this DOES NOT include the mounting bracket. I don't know the part number for it, but if you know where it mounts in your car and you can describe it to the guy at the parts counter (or just walk out onto the lot and show him in a similar car), you shouldn't have a problem buying it also at a discount.<br><p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts