Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Case 406
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

could someone tell me what the average operating temperature is of the main transmission on a 406?

What degree range would beconsidered "hot" ?

Cheers Rolf

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,263 Posts
Can't help with 406, but my U1300L measured 147F at the top (hottest part I could find) on a +32C day. I've measured it a few times, seems consistent.

·
Registered
1981 Case 406
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why mixing?

The 147 cannot be Celcius otherwise the oil would be boiling...

Cheers Rolf

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,365 Posts
Actually......just for interest;

Not that one should believe everything you read on Wiki.

"It is impossible to list the boiling point of crude oil due to the widely varying boiling point of it's numerous compounds, some of which may boil at temperatures too high to be measured. Refined motor oil will boil at around 300 degrees Celsius (572 degrees Fahrenheit)"

Read more: What is the boiling point of motor oil

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
My IR gauge was set on F, and the weather network reports in C up here, so I mix and match ;)
Trev, bet you measure your 'mile'age in km too :)

Back when I was putting a lot of road miles on a 406, the tranny never ran much over 150F. I don't recall anyone ever having heating problems with a 406/416 transmission.

Bob

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,263 Posts
Yeah, we are a mixed bag up here, that's for sure. We still buy our lumber in 2x4's :) Its confusing dealing with my generation and my Fathers. He helped me re-do my soffit's on my 1917 house, so before heading out from town, he called, and asked me to measure the face board for replacement, I said it's 2"x6" He said, perfect, I'll pickup a 2x6. We primed it, painted it, then held it up to nail it, didn't fit, he said "I thought you said it was a 2x6" I said "it is!, 2" x 6"! " Turns out, back in the day, a 2x6 was just that, 2x6, apparently, not any more ;)

I leave my IR gun on °F, because I know if I have to search this forum for other results, that's most likely the results I'm going to get ;)

When I measure my aCar mileage, I set it for US MPG as well, L/100km isn't going to net any results searching benzworld :D

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
Turns out, back in the day, a 2x6 was just that, 2x6, apparently, not any more ;)
Not for quite a while, actually ;)

2x4's and 2x6's are 1/2" smaller in both dimensions. 2x8's and larger dimensional lumber is 1/2" short on thickness and 3/4" short on width.

"They" say the difference is due to shrinkage of the green cut wood and planing but, since that made inconsistent dimensions, these are actual finish sizes now. I have to leave it to your imagination as to WHY '2-by' dimensional lumber is actually cut the way it is.... :cool:

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,263 Posts
Well the old part of my house is all Fir, and all the 2x4's, 2x6's, and such are just that. The 1998 Addition, all modern boards.

I had to pull a few BIG spiral nails out of the rough cut Fir stuff in the 1917 part of the house...that...was a chore akin to taking the hub bolts out of a Unimog hub.

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,365 Posts
"They" say the difference is due to shrinkage of the green cut wood and planing but, since that made inconsistent dimensions, these are actual finish sizes now. I have to leave it to your imagination as to WHY '2-by' dimensional lumber is actually cut the way it is.... :cool:
And if you beleive that, you can beleive anything !
It is just plain banditry !!! Pay more, get less.

Trev, agree with mpg and such like, L/100km just does not fit nicely in my head - seems arse about face - and I have used metric 95% of the life.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,821 Posts
Just imagine trying to explain why dimensional lumber isn't the listed dimensions to people who can't get it. Better yet try discussing it in 1/4's. "You're going to need an 8 quarter by 16 quarter..." Hilarity ensues.

The green versus dry discussion holds a lot of water given that in "the old days" lumber when from the tree to your house fairly quickly and the dreaded "house settling" was more than just the foundation seeking level, often it was the studs and beams shrinking.

·
Premium Member
1991 U1550L37, 2019 G550
2,029 Posts
And if you beleive that, you can beleive anything !
It is just plain banditry !!! Pay more, get less.

Trev, agree with mpg and such like, L/100km just does not fit nicely in my head - seems arse about face - and I have used metric 95% of the life.
L/100 worked fine for me all my life:)
And there is only one liter, but two different gallons and resulting Mpg depending on who posts here.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,821 Posts

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,365 Posts
Love the conversion tables !
I seem to recall someone telling me that the US have actually formally adopted the metric system - ie the law has been passed (about 100yrs ago) to allow useage, but it simply has never been implemented !

·
Premium Member
1991 U1550L37, 2019 G550
2,029 Posts
Love the conversion tables !
I seem to recall someone telling me that the US have actually formally adopted the metric system - ie the law has been passed (about 100yrs ago) to allow useage, but it simply has never been implemented !
Got weird pockets of it:
Some state DOTs require plans in metric, some in standard AND metric
2L coke bottles
temperature measured in hospitals often metric, of course no patient knows what it means
Even Detroit made cars have some metric fasteners

Could be worse: I have grown up measuring angles in grads/gon

·
Registered
1981 u1300L, 1998 s280
2,113 Posts
Urgh,

I'm very much of the generation that there's metric and imperial mixed together and they tend to alternate as the scale gets larger.

cm, inch, meter, mile
ml, cup, liter, gallon
gram, pound, kilo, stone, tonne

This is in a country which 'officially' became metric in the 1970's. I've still no idea what this 'f' temperature thing is though, seems to be based on the boiling point of gerbils or something?

·
Registered
Unimog 416.125
92 Posts
Back when I was putting a lot of road miles on a 406, the tranny never ran much over 150F. I don't recall anyone ever having heating problems with a 406/416 transmission.

Bob
I don't have any experience of overheating 406/416 transmissions, but I have seen on the Unimurr site that they have a transmission heatsync product for sale, so perhaps in desert conditions the trannies could overheat?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts