Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
406 forst
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tilting the cab on my 1973 406.120 today. After removing the bolt on the steering U-joint I tried to put it back because I needed to repositon the truck. After trying and failing several times to get the bolt back in place I finally made an alignment bolt by grinding the threads off a longer bolt tapering the last inch. With some jiggering I was able to get the alignment bolt inserted. I carefully removed the alignment bolt and did not notice any slippage on the U-joint. But I still can’t get the bolt installed. The bolt has about a 45 degree taper up from the threads which are somewhat smaller than the bolt diameter which I think is the root of my problem. I plan on putting a couple wraps of gorilla tape on the threads in hopes of bridging the steep taper. I tilted the cab back in 2005 and had some trouble but was able to get the bolt installed. Anyone willing to share some tips?

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,621 Posts
I have never seen the bottom bolt in your photos. In all the trucks I have ever parted out or worked on have a standard 8mm bolt in them with a locking nut on them. So I think your U-joint has been changed out or modified some way. Should have the same size hole on both sides, and the bolt can go in from either side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts