Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird problem with my 406 lockers, when i engage then, the compressed air blows out the gear box dipstick and oil, anyone knows were the problem is?? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Your diff lock seals are shot. You can try adding some brake fluid to the air lines going into the diff locks on both axles. This might swell the seals. But most likely you will have to split the axles and replace the seals.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts
I have a weird problem with my 406 lockers, when i engage then, the compressed air blows out the gear box dipstick and oil, anyone knows were the problem is?? :confused: :confused:
actually it is not weird. Have read it before.

I do not remember the exact details. Something about O rings and a blocked axle breather?

try a search in this forum for

Dipstick tran* Blows

Dipstick tran* Pops

yes use the *

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts
further search..... this time at MME shows Von is spot on.

MME Archive said:
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:31 am Post subject: RE: 406 Front Axle Seal leaking
....The older 406s vent through the transmission Which is why
the dipstick will pop up if the difflocks leak bad on those models. The
newer mogs have an external vent tube with a drilling at the top of the
torque tubes just below the boot...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The axle that that is causing the problem is the one on the back, i'm sure of this because i have a safety tap for each axle. When you say seals, you mean the ones in the difflocks rigth?? The problem is that they are new, maybe something went wrong... Thanks guys for the posts, most helpfull.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
It's a good idea, and listed in the manual, to flush those lockers with some anti-corrosion oil (any light oil) regularly. Open up the lines to the lockers, squirt in some oil, reconnect and operate. Then drain the drain port on the diff locks. Often this will clear debris from the o-rings and make them work again. It's an easy fix if it works.

The brake fluid Von recommended should do the trick also, then follow up with some lubricant.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts